Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

Re: Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

@CSParnell  -  Trouble is . . .  I don't have a 'smart' TV that works with Android Apps.  (Don't think I want one either! 🤔)

In the main, I only use the TV to watch the 6:00pm news and YouTube.

It is nice to use voice commands like "Hey Google. News." - and with a few scenes and automations the Antsig IR remote automatically turns the TV ON, switch back to 'free to air' sets the channel, turns the sound system on and and adjusts the volume.

For other minor TV adjustments, I use the remove that came with the TV.

(I never use the fancy IR Grid Connect / Antsig control interface on the phone or tablet as I find it too much trouble.)

My wife uses another voice command (twice a day) to get the Antsig IR remote to automatically set up the TV and Wii Console for her daily exercises.

I did set up the DVD player as well, but hardly ever use it these days.

I just wish our ducted AC control panel had IR control so we could automate it and have remote control via Grid Connect and the Antsig IR remote.

Re: How to set up a Grid Connect automation to disable timer if raining?

Weather → Rainy Condition Test:

Regarding previous posts utilising Grid Connect’s ‘Weather Rainy’ condition test . . .

To check the credibility of this condition test, I created a short automation as follows to sound an alarm if Grid Connect ‘thought’ it was ‘Rainy’.

Rain Alarm.jpg

Over the past few days, the alarm sounded several times indicating that Grid Connect thought it was ‘Rainy’.  HOWEVER, it has been blue skies and no rain anywhere near my location.

I don’t know how and where Grid Connect gets its information.

However, according to observations from my local BoM ‘Observation Station’, only a short 15 minute walk from my location, there has been no rain for days.

Therefore, confirming my scepticism, I think one should take Grid Connect’s Weather status with a pinch of salt and not trust it for anything important.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to set up a Grid Connect automation to disable timer if raining?

Hi @GreenHouse 

Thanks for sharing the results on your extra test on the "weather rainy" condition test. It's good to know that it works.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GreenHouse
Having an Impact

Flood Detector Part 1 of 3

Over the last few years, 3 homes adjacent to me have been flooded from burst ‘Stainless Steel Braided Hoses’.
As a result, I have become very concerned about these hoses in my own home.

Apparently, braided hoses should last between 5-10 years, but ideally should be replaced every 5 years to avoid the risk of them bursting – who knew!

Insurance may cover the damage, but if not, you could be up for tens of thousands of dollars to replace floor boards and carpet etc.

Regular checks on braided hoses for warning signs is very important.
Warning signs include:  Bulging,  fraying,  kinks  or  rust spots.

Apart from regularly checking my hoses, I turn the main water supply OFF when away on holidays etc and I have installed ‘Water Leak Alarms’ under benches where these hoses have been installed.

Although the Water Leak Alarms I purchased are not ‘Smart’ devices, they work very well.

Installation is very simple:  Hook the sounder in a suitable location under the bench and fix the water probe in a location where floodwater would accumulate.

(My only criticism of the units I purchased is that the polarity of the 9V battery is not very clear and the battery is very difficult to remove.)

Subsequently, I came across Grid Connect compatible Tuya Smart WiFi Water Leakage Detectors and I wondered whether they would be any good.
Part 2 of 3 to follow.

A4 Photos-1.jpg

GreenHouse
Having an Impact

Flood Detector Part 2 of 3

I came across Grid Connect compatible Tuya Smart Wifi Water Leakage Detectors and I wondered whether they would be any good. At under $10.00 each, I purchased 3 to cover the kitchen, bathroom & en-suite.  I planned to configure them to sound a common separate alarm.

The Tuya Wifi detectors easily paired with Grid Connect and came up with a nice display for the Flooding Alarm states, complete with a running time and date stamp record of the various alarm conditions.
(The Water Probes were exactly the same as for my ‘non smart’ water leak alarms.)

I wrote a simple Automation to control a smart plug (TV Light) for ‘Bench Testing’ the Tuya Water Leakage Detectors and used a damp sponge for the Water Probe.

It all worked, but I found the operation a little confusing.  There was an initial delay for the ‘alarm state’ to be registered after placing the Water Probe on the damp sponge. Then, after removing and replacing the probe on the sponge, the ‘alarm state’ changed more quickly.  I initially got the feeling it was all a little ‘flaky’ and I wasn’t sure these detectors were reliable.

However, after many hours of testing, I felt that the Tuya Water Leakage Detectors were probably OK, once you got used to the various delays.

Now; would it be a good idea to replace my ‘non smart’ leak detectors with these ‘smart’ Tuya devices?

I may have missed some obvious advantage, but I eventually decided NOT to use the Tuya devices for the following reasons:

• The Tuya devices require the internet and Grid Connect to all be working – Not guaranteed.

• I really wanted a reliable instantaneous alarm in the event of a flooding event when home.

• There was not much I could do if I received an alarm on my phone when away from home, other to dash home or advise a neighbour to turn the water mains OFF – However, the damage, by that time, would probably have been done.

I then wondered (so as not to be a total loss) if the Smart Water Leak Detectors could be re-purposed.

Part 3 of 3 to follow.

A4 Photos-2.jpg

@GreenHouse 

Yes I agree with you I would not put my hands on a device that may or may not let me know based on the fact its primary source of power is a battery, it's primary source of communication is wifi and it needs to go through a server to get to you.

This is an area Im actually heavily involved in R&D for alerts and mass notification development of new technologies for robust communication in critical situations. Its all about minimising the risk and utilising pathways with proven track record along with reliable power source with backup.

Honestly if I was looking to detect water leaks around my house and there wasn't an off the shelf device that ticked those boxes then I would start with a Raspberry Pi 4b 4gig minimum with a UPS Hat and lots of custom coding, you could even go as far as a GSM hat but that getting things serious. 

Other alternatives is internet modem make sure it's on a UPS battery backup and it has cellular backup make sure your devices are using lithium batteries for long life. 

Or

Something may be better than nothing but don't relay on it

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Grid Connect automation motion detection for SC002HA series 2 and SC030HA

@Shih 

Apologies if this isn't correct but all I can think is maybe you are referring to is this notification?

My dashboard might look slightly different as I'm using Smart Life App

1000016584.jpg

1000016585.jpg

1000016586.jpg

  

GreenHouse
Having an Impact

Flood Detector Part 3 of 3

Having decided NOT to use the Tuya Smart Wifi Water Leakage Detectors for their intended purpose, I wondered if they could be used for some other purpose. After all, they are just VERY sensitive switches able to be interfaced with Grid Connect and could thus be used to control other smart devices rather than just provide an alarm.

The Water Probe wires could be connected to many different things to monitor a change in switch status – for example a micro switch or relay output etc.

The following may not be of any practical use but is intended to provide ideas of how some smart devices can be adapted for other uses.

As a worked example I decided to re-imagine my (rather complicated) ‘DIY Grid Connect Low Voltage Interface’ (Light Sensitive Switch) as per a previous post.

I had on hand a 5V DC light sensor module, a small PVC project box, an old 5V phone charger cable and a Tuya Smart Wifi Water Leakage Detector. All I had to do was mount the light sensor module in a box, cut off the water probe and connect its two wires to the module’s relay output. You could simply assemble everything, insert the batteries, create a suitable Grid Connect Automation and you’re done!

Note: Flood Normal’ could indicate ‘Switch OFF’ and ‘Flood Alarm’ could indicate ‘Switch ON

OPTIONAL:

I decided to go one step further and make the Leakage Detector module ‘battery free’. This involved re-wiring the Detector with a 4 core cable. The red & black wires connect to the battery terminals and the blue & white wires connect to the ‘water probe’ connections of the Leakage Detector’s PCB. The red & black wires were then connected to the 5V input of the light sensor module and the blue & white wires were connected to the light sensor’s relay output. (I know - the Leakage Detector is now running on 5V instead of its intended 3V, but CMOS logic can run on higher voltages – and, to quote Vice Grip Garage: “If it works, is it really a dumb idea?” 🤔

I even repurposed the redundant Water Probe by connecting it in parallel with the non smart leak detector under the kitchen sink and installing it on the floor, adjacent to the dishwasher. 🙂

(The dishwasher flooded due to over sudsing a few weeks ago, and so, this could prove handy!)

A4 Photos-3.jpg

@GreenHouse you can always use a 3v lithium rechargeable battery and apply 3.3vdc hard wired volts to it that way you have hardwired/battery backup :smile:

You so need to start playing with Raspberries or Arduinos, I only work with Raspberries these days as they are extremely powerful for a single board computer and so many libraries. Plus ChatGPT is your coding buddy with them.

I always thought I should get into SBCs. I watch a lot of YouTube about them.

I've always had a yearning for this sort of stuff, having built my own CP/M 2.2 Z80 S100 system etc back in the 70's.

But at 71 years of age, I'm not sure I'm past it and I know for sure my wife would not appreciate even more 'junk' around the house.

In any case, I'm struggling to keep up with operating and maintaining our 5 desk tops, 3 laptops, 3 tablets and 5 phones. Oh, and all my Arlec Grid Connect and Tuya devices - you KNOW what it's like!  But I am exploring Linux (Zorin OS) - It's not bad!

Interesting to hear ChatGPT can be used to help coding.  I'll have to see if it can help with AutoIt and AutoLISP coding.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects