Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: grid connect fan switch

Hi @omar,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have exhausted all possible solutions to the problem so there's not much more advice I can give than to maybe consider replacing them.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Kaygee46
Just Starting Out

How to fix Grid connect camera timing out when connecting?

I had to reinstall my Orion Grid connect camera and when it gets to the stage of reconnecting to the network it times out. Everything appears to be correct, SSID name, password etc, but it refuses to connect. Any suggestions?
EDIT.  Fixed - I had misspelled the SSID. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grid connect camera times out when connecting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kaygee46. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting Grid Connect devices.

You might like to visit the Grid Connect Smart Home Support page, which offers plenty of detailed troubleshooting advice. Here's the specific article on troubleshooting WiFi. If you've tried these before, it's sometimes best to contact the Grid Connect technical team directly at cs@arlec.com.au so they can walk you through the steps and try to replicate any issues you are experiencing.

Have you tried deleting the camera in the app and going through the process again? 

Let me tag @CSParnell to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sjb325224
Finding My Feet

How to set up a Grid Connect automation to disable timer if raining?

Can you assist with how to complete something in Grid Connect?  I have a Grid Connect power point with a simple timer to turn on three times a day and then turns off with another timer about 20 minutes later.  

I noticed in Scenes there is an option for “if raining” commence a Scene, but what I would like is to run a timer if it’s not raining.  

so something like

- turn on at 10am

- turn off at 10.20am

- turn on at 2pm “if” it’s not raining (or rain expected)

- turn off at 2.20pm.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to set up a Grid Connect automation to disable timer if raining?

Hello @sjb325224 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Grid automation.

I've had a look at the Grid weather scene and and can only find an "if raining" function but not the opposite. Allow me to make some inquiries with Grid regarding your desired program. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Let me call on our experienced member @CSParnell for their recommendations.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@EricL @sjb325224 

I'm not sure what conditions there are in the Grid Connect App these days I have not used it for a while as I moved to Smart Life instead due to more functions.

Here is what you can do within Smart Live for Weather triggers

1000015605.jpg

1000015606.jpg

1000015607.jpg

1000015608.jpg

1000015609.jpg

   

Thanks for your guidance.  
I’ve downloaded the app for Smart Life and it does look better, but suffers from the same core logic failures.  It allows the selection of “if raining” run task, but has no ability (from what I can see) to reverse the question and say “if not raining” run task or “if raining” do not run task or disable task if raining.  

It does have the option to say “if sunny” or “if cloudy” run task, but this would not meet the criteria as it can be clouded with or without rain.  

Its a pity, as they have included this logic with the ‘Wind’ option, where you can specify above or below a criteria for running a task

it may be a case of these items not being mature enough or I’m just expecting too much for an off the shelf item.  

Thanks.  Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sjb325224 

Thank you for your patience. The Arlec technical team has requested that you send your query directly to them at techenquiries@arlec.com.au. This will allow them to provide a more detailed and thorough response to your request Plus, they would like to ask you more questions regarding the program you want to run.  Please address your questions to "Jeevan".    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@sjb325224 would you not just create another automation for if Sunny then Action? That would meet the same requirements as If Not Rainy 

So Automation 1 named If Rainy.

When condition changes to Rainy.

Action 

Turn Light Bedroom On

Pre Conditions

All days All times

Make sure Location is set correctly.

Automation 2 named if Sunny

When condition changes to Sunny

Action

Turn Light Bedroom Off

Pre Conditions All Days All times

Make sure locations are set correctly.

Sometimes you need to split the Automation into 2 or more seperate Automation Tasks if you can't reverse it or don't have the option at all. 

Remember GC, GH, and the other apps are built for home users they are not meant to be able to be interigated and taken down to code levels for that you need to go to Home Assistant.

Not saying the following WILL work, but it may be worth considering:  (A big work around for 'Not Raining' 😡)

1) At 1:50pm, every day, Enable the '2:00pm Timer' Automation.

2) At 1:59pm, every day, Disable the '2:00pm Timer' Automation IF it's 'Raining'. ← Not sure if this condition check will work properly 🤔

3) At 2:00pm, every day, the '2:00pm Timer' Automation will run if it's NOT disabled.

(If the following does work, it has the advantage that the logic would also work at night.) 

~ JUST AN IDEA - ALL UN-TESTED ~

1)

Enable Timer Automation at 1:50pmEnable Timer Automation at 1:50pm

2)

Disable 2:00pm Timer if RainingDisable 2:00pm Timer if Raining

3)

2:00pm Timer2:00pm Timer

I hasten to point out that I gave up on Grid Connect weather conditions a long time ago.
Weather can be remarkably local. I assume Grid Connect gets its weather status from local BOM stations, which may be some distance from your location and hence may not accurately reflect your actual conditions.

Also, I’m not sure about the time and speed at which the conditions are polled by Grid Connect. Hence, there may be some lag in the data and, once again, not reflect your current conditions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects