Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop my eaves paint from cracking again?

delt2
Just Starting Out

How do I stop my eaves paint from cracking again?

The paint of my eaves was pealing. I've scraped it back, sanded it, patched it with Gyprock Joint Compound, and sanded that back. 

It is from here that I do not know where to do next, do I simply paint on some exterior paint, or do I need to paint on some form of sealant or primer first? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I stop my eaves paint from cracking again?

Hello @delt2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your eaves.

Since you've already done the prep work of patching and sanding, I suggest using an exterior paint of your choice. As the name implies this paint is made for outside use and does not require a primer. For example, the Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint is an exterior paint specially designed to provide a tough and hardwearing finish for protection in all Australian weather conditions. It is self-priming and can be applied to a variety of surfaces.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to prepare a wall for painting ( the steps outlined are applicable to your painting project )

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects