Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my Anka screws jamming securing Pine to concrete?

Manooks
Just Starting Out

Why are my Anka screws jamming securing Pine to concrete?

Hi There - I cant work out for the life of me why my Anka screws are jamming up with about 20-25mm to go.  im trying to secure treated pine to concrete.  Ive double checked all the specifications (bit size, 10mm larger hole) ive worked the hammer drill in and out to clear up any debrief and the problem persists (some sites have recommended an air pressure cleaner!!!)

With every failed attempt as get more frustrated, i keep threading the screw heads making the matter worse.  I've got both a pillips head and a star head, even bought 2 different sizes with same results

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Manooks 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: ankascrew jamming

Ive always found ankascrews need quite a bit of force to get the last couple of turns. I use a small bottle cleaning brush and my car compressor to make sure the holes are clear of debris. Using the drill alone will not always totally clear the hole. I have once used a vacuum cleaner wilth straws taped to the end to clear holes. Suggest making sure your hole are deep enough. Make sure no debris left in holes. Personally I use the ones with a bolt head they allow using a spanner so you get a lot more leverage and the head doesnt chew out like a Phillips. If you choose to persist with the star and Phillips ones make sure you are holding your impact driver square on and with pressure.

JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ankascrew jamming

Hello @Manooks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Ramset Ankascrews.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JDE. I was just about to recommend using a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the remaining concrete dust that might have settled at the bottom. I suggest following the recommendations made and if it is still proving to be difficult, I propose changing models to one with a hex head to give you more leverage when turning the screw.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects