Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang 10kg mirror on plasterboard with metal studs?

yadu
Community Newcomer

How to hang 10kg mirror on plasterboard with metal studs?

I have a 10 kg mirror with 2 hanging hooks. My wall is gyprock with metal studs as the frame. The hooks of the mirror are 64 cm apart and I am not able to find the studs in the wall (with stud finder) with same distance. Do I need to hang both the hooks in studs ? How can I hang the mirror ?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hang 10 kg mirror

Hi @yadu,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

As studs are usually spaced at either 450mm or 600mm intervals, it is very unlikely you're going to find two that line up perfectly with your hooks. Ideally, you would attach both hooks to a stud, but it is not necessarily essential.

I'd suggest lining up one of the hooks with a stud and then using a Ramset WallMate Plasterboard Anchor for the other. These anchors are capable of supporting 10kg per anchor, so using the stud alongside one of these will be fine.

If you'd be more comfortable if the mirror was attached to two studs, you can attach a timber cleat to the two available studs and then hang your mirror from this cleat. This 42 x 19mm DAR Pine Standard can be cut down to around 700mm wide to act as your cleat.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects