Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to butt into cove cornice?

MGusto
Having an Impact

How to butt into cove cornice?

Hi there

I have had a pantry installed in my kitchen and as you can see from the photo, the job requires 90mm cove cornice installed around the bulkhead.

I do not want to cut into the existing cornice, but but into it with what I think is called  a scribe joint. I watched a video on how to cut  a scribe but I just cant picture how this works with a cornice.

Can anybody out there help me out.

I got a quote from a gyprocker who normally charges $450 minimum but he would do the job for $350 without painting. :unhappy:

For a $10 piece of cornice I am gonna do this myself!

Cheers

Mike

PS

I have a needle file(?) that can take the shape of the cornice. Will this help?

PXL_20240903_033154046.jpg

PXL_20240830_035633490[1].jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to butt into cove cornice?

Afternoon @MGusto 

Nooo The piece you have in your hand, bring it towards you so it can sit over the short piece fo cornice on the wall, then you draw the arc on the back of the cornice.

Dave

MGusto
Having an Impact

Thank you for your persistence with with me Dave @Dave-1 

I understand where your coming from now. I take it I need to trace the right hand side of the pillar from behind not the left hand side to get the right angle?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @MGusto 

:smile: yep thats what I am trying to describe. And no persistance, it just means that however one person is describing it, it isnt matching up to the other persons idea of what it is. 

Believe me its like looking at a puzzle and working out how to have a start point to look at.

We all have been there!

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

You're getting there @MGusto 

The 90mm mitre box can make the cut, but in your case you're butting against the other cornice - so you have to visualize straight on and cut the beveled edge away at 90 degrees with something like a coping saw.

I found it impossible to draw. 😑

But if you keep nibbling and using that pencil method above - you'll get there.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I got you, @Noyade and @MGusto!!

Great minds, hey! I've been drawing it up. As best I can tell, even though it's a butt joint and not a mitre, it's still a standard mitre, but with the top edge flattened off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's it!! 😁 Nice one Mitchell! @MitchellMc 

Capture.PNG

I just found the coping saw worked for me. Dunno what the professionals do....

Thanks for that @MitchellMc . It appears what you are saying is consistent with the notion of a scribe joint. However my spatial skills are considerably lacking and I am having difficulty in translating that into an actual cut. Oh my, my brain hurts. 

@MitchellMc @Noyade @Dave-1 @EricL 

Thank you everybody for your input. Now the actual doing....

1. Get a scrap cut at 90 and hold it upright over the cornice you want to cut and rotate it until the edges of the scrap meet with the edge of the cutting cornice - this will achieve a 45.

1.jpg

Trace the arc onto the cutting cornice and cut. I used a hacksaw as I didnt have  a coping saw.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Now you have to get rid of the edge and leave the profile intact as alluded by Mitchell in his post. I used a rasp.

5.jpg

Its not quite a perfect fit yet - It is hard to know what needs to be shaved away. Also there will need to be some bogging up but that is no different to plugging a hole in a plaster wall.

6.jpg

With everybody sharing and contributing, this epitomises what this site is all about.

I will post later when I have cut the other side and glued and then bogged and then painted.

Cheers Mike

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @MGusto 

"Cheering" :smile: Do you feel more releived? :smile:

More "cheering"

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MGusto 

That looks close enough to me, and with a bit of filler it will look perfect.

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing your cornice fully installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects