Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you remove a built in wardrobe and move it to another wall?

kartiklad
Just Starting Out

How do you remove a built in wardrobe and move it to another wall?

Hi there, I would like to remove this wardrobe from the wall and shift to another wall in the bedroom to make more space for a bed. I would like to do it myself but I don't see how the wardrobe is attached to the wall. Our house is double brick and I couldn't really find anything inside the wardrobe like screws which I could potentially use to detach it from the wall. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kartik

IMG_0787.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you remove a built in wardrobe and move it to another wall?

Hi @kartiklad,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some photos of the inside of the wardrobe? 

I can almost guarantee that there are screws or nails hidden in the back of it somewhere. They may be covered by screw caps or filler, but they are almost certainly there.

These Deta Powerful Magnets are my favourite method for finding concealed fixings. The magnet sits back inside a sheath so when you run it over a metal object, the magnet will shoot forward making it obvious that you've just hit something metal.

Once the magnet reacts to something, you can investigate it to determine what is there. If there is filler, you can scratch it off with something like a screwdriver or even a butter knife, if there is a screw cap, they can be lifted off with a flat tool like a butter knife.

If it was nailed in place, you would need to pry it away from the back wall using something like this Trojan 375mm Pry Bar. If it turns out nails were used, it would be considerably harder to remove it without causing any damage, but not impossible.

Let me know how you go locating the fixings and if you upload some photos of the inside I'd be happy to offer further recommendations.

Jacob

Re: How do you remove a built in wardrobe and move it to another wall?

Thanks for reply Jacob! Lemme try and find the hidden screws with the magnet. I will try and click the photos of the insides but right now it is basically full with clothes and stuff so might have to clear out some of it before i click photos lol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects