Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any alternate screws for Ramset hollow body anchors?

barydos
Having an Impact

Any alternate screws for Ramset hollow body anchors?

Hey all,

Just installing some IKEA wardrobes and I need to secure it against the wall so it doesn't fall forward. 

I've decided to use the Ramset metal hollow wall anchors for the non-stud areas (setting tool looks interesting to use!) https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-m6-x-13mm-hollow-wall-anchor-4-pack_p2260147 - in the past I've used the Wallmate ones (for ceiling smoke alarm) but sometimes I make a mistake using an oversized screw woops, and then I can never remove the screw without taking the anchor along with it, so these metal ones look more suitable.

Anyway, can I use alternate screws to fit into these anchors? Or are they only suited to use the ones that come in the pack?

Ultimately I'm using a piece of wood behind the wardrobe to secure properly against the wall (I have skirting so it doesn't sit flush). And the screw that comes with the pack doesn't look like it would sit flush. Also I don't like Phillips slot screws, I have a habit of slipping haha. So I'm interested in using star headed screws (like https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-10-10-x-50mm-white-star-head-cabinet-screw-50-pack_p2400122). I'm guessing so long as the width (gauge?) matches, it should be fine but just want to be sure.

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do alternate screws (other than the included ones) fit into the Ramset hollow body anchors?

Hi @barydos,

I am unaware of a suitable replacement screw for Ramset wall anchors in anything other than Phillips-drive.  The screw/bolt would need to have an M4 thread size, and it would also need to be compatible with the setting tool. For safety reasons, it's not advisable to switch out the screw in the Ramset wall anchors.

The included screw head won't sit flush with the timber, but it wouldn't take much work to countersink the head into the timber. I suggest starting at your fixing locations by drilling 8mm holes to the depth of the screw head. You can then drill your hole for the screw shank in the middle of that. The larger 8mm hole will allow the screw head to sit slightly below the timber's surface.

In regards to not having much luck with Phillips-drive screws, here are some tips:

• Make sure you're using a Phillips bit that is the correct size for your Phillips-drive screw. If the bit is too small or too large, it can cause the drill bit to slip, so double-check the size before you start. There are three common sizes. The most used of those is the PH2 which is the correct size for the Ramset screws.

• A magnetic bit can help keep your drill bit in place and prevent it from slipping. We also have the Irwin Impact Pro Performance Magnetic Collar. You can insert the Phillips bit into the holder and then attach the holder to your drill, ensuring a tight and secure fit. The collar surrounds the screw head and keeps the bit located on it.

• Apply more pressure when drilling into the material. The extra pressure can help grip the screw and prevent the bit from slipping.

• If you're using a drill with variable speeds, try using a slower speed to give you more control over the drill bit and prevent it from slipping. On a drill driver, speed can be governed with the trigger.

• If all else fails, you can always use a screwdriver instead of a drill. While it may take a bit more time, using a screwdriver can help ensure that you get the screw in place without any slipping.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Do alternate screws (other than the included ones) fit into the Ramset hollow body anchors?

Amazing as always Mitchell!

Following your tips I've managed to get the job done. The part about using the larger bit to drill the space for the screw head first was great. And applying more pressure while screwing in the Phillips is good enough - thanks heaps! :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects