Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i cover the open gap where waste pipe runs?

ebland2002
Finding My Feet

How do i cover the open gap where waste pipe runs?

What should be used to cover the waste stack down pipe in my kitchen before adding a cupboard and tiling. 

After being paid, The kitchen installer has left the job. I don’t think he’ll return when the additional cupboard arrives. :unhappy: so need to figure out how to do this myself, with any help here. 

IMG_2239.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i cover the open gap where waste pipe runs

Hello @ebland2002 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the open gap in your wall.

Can you please tell us a little more about this gap, I've no doubt that it can be covered. But there is a steel post, electrical wiring and a host of other items that I can't identify. My first suggestion would be to engage the services of an electrician to tidy up all the wiring in there and make it safe.  

If the area needs to be accessible, you'll need to create a cover box or service tunnel. You've mentioned that cupboard was being installed and tiling was being applied, would it be possible for you to post another photo to indicate where the cabinet is being installed?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

  

Many thanks Eric

The electric cables will be fitted into the fusebox once the wall cupboard arrives. The fusebox will be in this cupboard.
the pipe is a wastewater stack that runs through each floors kitchen (I’m on top floor)

access will be required to electric cables, if a problem arises or new switch needed.

the 720mm h & 500mm w wall cupboard will be over the mid part of the pipe.

From the bench upwards to the cupboard can be covered with a recommended material. This will be tiled, as it will be the splash back. 

above the cupboard to be covered with a recommend material. 

many thanks for any assistance 

elizabeth 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ebland2002 

If the area needs to be accessed at some future point. I propose installing two timber strips at the side of the gap and covering the top with plasterboard. The sides and top of the cover can be tiled over, and the sides painted to the same colour as the tiles. 

Should you need to access the gap, you'll only need to remove one set of tiles. However, you'll need to plaster and retile this section to cover the gap again.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @RenoRach1 and @sallie24 for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How do i cover the open gap where waste pipe runs?

Evening @ebland2002 

Now that is a few things in a small area :surprised: I do like you description of the steps and what you are planning to do cupboard wise.

I was going to suggest something along the lines of what @EricL has but a little different. I would actually incorporate the cover itself to be part of the backplane/covering of the wall. Either on its own or maybe two of them spaced apart. One vertical fake cover and one that can be removed to work/fix stuff inside. I never want to have to pull apart something I have gone to a lot of effort to install so an inspection cover that suits your style of room would be ticking two boxes at once.

As a informative thing I would also take a photo/sketch the area out and add meausurements of all those services as they are within the concrete facing, mostly to help where to screw fasteners into the wall so you dont go through a cable but down the track if you ever need to look back it would be invaluable.

btw I think it would be really interesting seeing this as a project down the track and how you conceal the services :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects