Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use for base of medium sized shed?

bkjan
Growing in Experience

What to use for base of medium sized shed?

Hi, I am hoping to use treated pine pallets as the flooring to put my shed on. Shed is 3m x 1.5m.

I cannot use concrete as it is a rental property.

However, I am finding it very difficult to find this type of pallet.

I will be laying builders film under the pallets as a waterproof barrier.

My questions are:

1. does anyone know of where to get treated pine pallets in the Frankston, Mornington Peninsula areas in Victoria.

2. Or are there other EASY to use (I'm disabled) options to use as the flooring.

3. Would plastic pallets be weatherproof and strong enough to sit the shed on.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, but as I said I'm disabled and cannot build anything.

Thanks so much from Jan.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what to use for base of medium sized shed

Hello @bkjan 

Thanks for sharing your question about what base to use for your shed. The common pallets that come to the store are either "HT" or heat treated and "MB" which is methyl bromide. The pallet treated with methyl bromide is not meant to be used for anything else as the chemical treatment on it can cause severe skin irritation. I suggest giving your local store a call in order to find out if they have any pallets to give away.

In regards to using pallets as a base for your shed, I don't recommend using pallets as they are not structurally sound and will not be able to hold the shed down in case of a severe windstorm.    

Since you are in a rental property, I suggest building a timber base instead. This will allow you to take the shed and base with you should you decide to move to another location. I propose engaging the services of a handy person to build the taber post for you.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Garden shed on timber base by @Malcolm

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects