Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a tiny house to the ground?

Caitlin_
Finding My Feet

How to secure a tiny house to the ground?

I am currently building a tiny house and need some advice on ways to secure it to the ground to decrease the likelihood of damage from wind and earthquake. I am thinking of using four (or maybe six?) Otter 690 x 90mm Ground Screw Stirrups on each side of the house. The tiny house is 8 l x 2.4 w x 4.2 h and weights about 3.7 ton. Would this ground screw be strong enough for the application? What's the best way to attach these to the trailer? Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiny House Tie Downs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Caitlin_. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about securing your tiny home.

Using ground screws could help mitigate damage from wind and earthquakes. However, it's important to note that the Otter 690 x 90mm Ground Screw Stirrups have not been specifically tested for this application, so their effectiveness cannot be guaranteed. Given the size and weight of your tiny home, ensuring it is properly secured is crucial.

If you are in an area where high winds or earthquakes are significant risks, I strongly recommend consulting with the manufacturer of your tiny house. They can provide guidance on suitable anchoring techniques and the best points to secure your home. It's essential to follow their recommendations to ensure the safety and stability of your structure. In addition, buildings in cyclonic locations are subject to numerous regulations as outlined in the Building Code of Australia. These buildings are specifically designed to withstand extreme weather conditions. A tiny home on a trailer may not meet these stringent requirements, so it's vital to verify whether your solution is adequate or if there are more appropriate options.

When attaching ground screws to your trailer, ensure that they are securely fastened to both the trailer and the ground. Using a sufficient number of screws (potentially six on each side, as you mentioned) can provide additional stability. However, the exact number and placement should be based on professional advice to match your specific situation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Tiny House Tie Downs

Thank you Mitchell!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects