Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove an old steel shed?

simonmartyn
Just Starting Out

How to remove an old steel shed?

Hi.  I need to remove an old metal shed from my parent's back yard.  All the screws holding the side panels and roof are rusted.  I want to cut the sheets up so that I can put them in a skip and was wondering the best (cheapest) way of cutting the metal?  I have the 'usual' selection of tools however not sure what else I need to do the job. 

Thanks

Simon

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need to remove an old steel shed

Hello @simonmartyn 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your old shed.

The number one tool that I would suggest having in your arsenal is a grinder with steel grinding/cutting disc. Another tool you should have handy is a rubber mallet, you can use this to hit corners or uncooperative sheets that just don't want to come apart. 

I recommend starting with the doors and roof before you start taking the walls apart.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations on disassembly.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your shed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @simonmartyn 

Years ago I bought my little ozito grinder for cutting some decent sized steel posts concreted into the ground... Years later its still going strong! And funny enough it looks exactly like the ozito that @EricL has shown :smile:

Caution using any grinder, Know what part you are cutting and turn the grinder off between figuring what cuts you are doing next.

I have also used a cold chisel and hammer toremove the heads of rusted screws easily, just place the chisel end next to the hea dof the screw and a short hard "tap" with a hammer generally sheers it off.

Dave

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @simonmartyn ,

The cheapest way (not necessarily the best... depending on how many cuts you'll need to make to transport the sheets. ) is to use tinsnips & gloves & time! But otherwise I'd follow the advice already given by @EricL and @Dave-1 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @simonmartyn,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community; it is fantastic to have you with us.

Having done a fair bit of this kind of demolition work, my suggestion would be the same as @TedBear.

A good pair of aviation snips such as these Crescent WISS 248mm Straight Cut Aviation Snips are the perfect tool for this. I have, 3 pairs of these exact tools and can say from experience they are fantastic for so many applications.

Just remember to wear all your protective equipment, specifically gloves, long pants and work shirt, enclosed shoes and eye protection.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @simonmartyn 

Any chance of uploading photos of the shed?

Cheers!

hoosh
Getting Established

I've removed two sheds by putting them on FB marketplace as a free shed. Both times, someone has shown up with all the tools and even a truck big enough to haul it away. They were small sheds, too. One was an aviary actually (but mounted in a shed-like way).

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hoosh,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Thank you for that great tip. Allow me to tag @simonmartyn so they are notified.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects