Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect the bottom of a garage timber framed wall?

Jeffersm963
Cultivating a Following

How to protect the bottom of a garage timber framed wall?

Hi,

I am going to be framing some timber walls to enclose my garage. Some of the walls will only be interior facing and some will be exterior facing too. How do I protect the base plate and the lower part of the studs from water or moisture rising from the floor?

Thanks

Jeff

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Protecting the bottom of a Timbeer Framed Wall

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Thank you for your question about how to protect timber framed walls from water rising through concrete.

You can use CAgroup 90mm x 30m x 500um Plascourse attached to the underside of the bottom plate using Liquid Nails. This will prevent water from rising through the slab into the timber.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Jeffersm963
Cultivating a Following

Legend as always Jacob.

Do i just stick it to the base or wrap up the sides, will be using 70mm H3, so have 10mm each side with this 90mm course.

Do I also need to stick it to the outer studs, if the framed wall will be attaching to brick walls on either side.

Thanks

Jeff

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeffersm963,

Wrapping them slightly up the sides is not 100% necessary, but it will certainly give you a cleaner finish, and that little bit of extra protection and for the amount of effort it takes, it's certainly worthwhile.

Anywhere timber is in contact with masonry, it is worthwhile to protect it. If the walls are in direct contact with brickwork, the timber can wick moisture from the brickwork, so it is worthwhile to cover them with DPC as well.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Jeffersm963
Cultivating a Following

Thanks JacobZ, love that word Wick 😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects