Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang external solid doors?

Miczam
Finding My Feet

How to hang external solid doors?

hi there i purchased from bunnings special orders 2 x external solid doors 1200mm wide x 2040 high (35mm depth) i need to know what hinges to buy and what type of screws or bolts i should use. Concern customer

Re: 2 x external solid doors which are very heavy

Hi jacob,

I have modified the doors i purchased and made them more into a barn door style. In regards to the hinges suggested i need to resolve this last problem.

I added 18mm depth timber to the doors to create a barn door style.

The width of the door is 35mm and the width of the timber added is 18mm see picture. I would like to get hinges that extend beyond the 18mm (added timber area) so i am screwing in the hinge into the 35mm of the original door. Can you point me to hinges that extrude beyond the 18mm.barn door for hinges.jpgbarn door for hinges 1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Miczam,

You'd likely need to go with a wide throw hinge such as the Pinnacle 100mm Satin Stainless Steel Wide Throw Hinge Single.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for that.  Do they come in a Black colour to match the other decor by any chance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Miczam 

I'm sorry, but the Pinnacle 100mm Satin Stainless Steel Wide Throw Hinge Single does not come in a black colour. However, you can spray paint it black in order to match your other fittings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Mitchell, 

If the width is 100mm and depth 125mm then the depth of my door is 50mm, how will i be able to fix the hinge to the edge of the doors?

please advise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's quite hard to visualise with placing the hinge up against the door @Miczam.

Perhaps the below diagram might assist. As you are creating a custom-door, you'll need to test fit to see if it works for you.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects