Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang external solid doors?

Miczam
Just Starting Out

How to hang external solid doors?

hi there i purchased from bunnings special orders 2 x external solid doors 1200mm wide x 2040 high (35mm depth) i need to know what hinges to buy and what type of screws or bolts i should use. Concern customer

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 2 x external solid doors which are very heavy

Hi @Miczam,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

For heavy doors, I always recommend using heavy-duty ball bearing hinges such as these Heavy Duty Hinge Austyle 100x75.2.5mm. You should be fine using 3 hinges per door, but if you are particularly concerned, carpenters will often install a 4th hinge, with 2 at the top, 1 in the middle and 1 at the bottom. See the below render as an example.

For screws, I'd suggest using 50mm screws that match the finish of your hinges, for example, these Zenith 10G x 50mm Zinc Plated Hinge-Long Thread Countersunk Head Timber Screws would be fine.

You might like to check out How To Hang a Door for some guidance.

If you weren't confident installing the door yourself, you might like to check out our Door Installation service as an option that can be organised through your local store's Special Orders desk.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Miczam
Just Starting Out

Thank you for your feedback. I am still concern that the proposal put forward by you may not hold door and the door will rip off the hinges due to its weight, mainly because the doors are 1200mm wide. The weight is around 45-50kgs according to the weight machine. Do you thing the option provided in your response would work? Or do you think ta different style hinge, like a T hinge that goes along the front of door would provide better support.

Please advise

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Miczam 

Just a member who votes for @JacobZ's recommendations above.

And a definite no to the T-hinges.

Cheers!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Miczam,

I understand your concerns, however, you can see in the description for the hinges I've linked to that they can hang 60kg doors with only 3 hinges. Using 4 hinges, you can reasonably assume that they are capable of hanging a door that you indicate is roughly 45-50kg.

I can say from personal experience, having worked as a commercial carpenter that this is the standard method for installing heavy doors. See the below example of a door I hung for the armoury room of a police station. This door was 50mm thick with bulletproof glass. I couldn't tell you the exact weight, but trust me, it was heavy.

If you still have concerns, I would be happy to contact the manufacturer of the door to confirm their advised method of installation.

Can you advise the manufacturer and the specific doors that you have?

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects