Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert shed into office?

hvhouse2home
Finding My Feet

How to convert shed into office?

Hi I am wanting to convert this freestanding shed into a home office/workshop space and looking for guidance on the best way to do so.

The shed has electricity already, and the previous owner has installed some insulation - I’m essentially just wanting to add walls (ceiling can stay as is) to seperate the space into two for the office/man cave in one end and workshop/tool storage in the other end. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert shed into office?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hvhouse2home. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about converting a shed to an office.

How are the temperatures at the moment? If they're comfortable and manageable, you can proceed with installing timber framework batons across the wall fixed in the metal frame in preparation for sheeting with plasterboard. This will cover the bare walls and help you create a more office-like space.

If you find that the temperatures are not adequately controlled, you might want to consider installing Foilboard insulation. This can help make the environment more comfortable by providing additional insulation.

Dividing the area should be a relatively straightforward task. Here are a few helpful step-by-step guides: How to build a stud wall, How to install a door jamb and How to hang a door.

We've got a ton of great tool storage solutions that you might like to check out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

A note to our New Zealand members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell… Could I pick your brain a little more with some more specific questions?!? I will also add in another photo of the space - we have since removed the timber workbench on the left in this photo. 

IMG_0365.jpeg

The temps are ok in the space, don’t think any additional insulation needed… I do think it will get very hot come Summer time, but the previous owners put ceiling fans in so this will definitely help.

in order to put up a wall, am I best to construct a timber stud wall in between the metal side posts? 

or would I be able to get away with attaching timber horizontally across the posts, then boarding over/onto the timber horizontal supports similar to this with the blue being the timber ‘frame’ and the yellow would be mdf/timber sheeting attached?

IMG_0826.jpeg

Good Afternoon @hvhouse2home 

Now that will be a nice area when you have finished!

I would go with constructing a timber stud wall between the posts.

I would also install some insulation before the plastering of the walls.

Check for water entering the base of the walls (always seems to be a problem with retrofitting sheds) Also how high is any soil outside.)

Work out where you want power and have it roughed in before you plaster the walls.

Sketch to your hearts content, will save you a bunch of working out.

Mark out on the ground with tape or empty boxes walls and doors so you cna feel if it will work.

Keep the measurements in a book in case you want to go back to change something.

These all just cascaded once I starte dthinking about how to do te walls for your shed :smile:

This is my project where I lined my garage with stud walls, you might get some ideas.

Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hvhouse2home,

It's best to construct a timber stud wall as opposed to running horizontal members between the shed posts for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is that this will increase the load applied to the shed structure beyond its original intention. Unless you were able to confirm that the shed is adequate to support this additional load, it is best to simply construct a frame where no additional load is applied to the shed structure. 

If you could confirm that the shed structure is capable of supporting the additional load, you would likely find the materials required to span this space without intermediate vertical supports will end up more expensive than simply construct a stud frame wall.

The second reason is that it is how the vast majority of construction is done so materials and techniques are designed around this method of construction. Insulation, like @Dave-1 has mentioned, is sized based on the width of stud bays and the thickness of timbers commonly used in this application and sheeting is sized according to common stud bays.

This is not to say it isn't possible, but it is not as simple as it may seem at first glance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects