Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close in top portion of garage with cement sheets?

penright
Just Starting Out

How to close in top portion of garage with cement sheets?

Hello, 

We have a post war home, with a similar aged single garage or shed. 

The construction is fairly straightforward with brick walls and a roof structure effectively placed on top of the bricks. This leaves a gap open to the elements between the top of the bricks and the bottom side of the roof. 

I would like to close in this gap and reduce the amount of dirt and dust that enters into the area. I am thinking something fairly simple in which I just continue the interior wall up to the roof line using cement sheeting or something of the like? I am just wondering if this is the simplest method and/or most effective? 

Photos below showing the gap between the bricks and the roof structure and my thought process for the job. 

Is there a better way to do it? Any thoughts on a better solution? 

IMG_5897.jpegScreenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.41.48 PM.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close in top portion of garage with cement sheets

Hello @penright 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about covering the gaps in your wall.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to close gap between top of brick wall and carport roof? by @Jeffersm963. Your proposal of using cement sheeting is quite sound and is one of the simplest ways to cover the gap. If you want to really seal off even the small space between the cement sheet and the joist, I propose using self-expanding foam

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
penright
Just Starting Out

Thank you @EricL, appreciate the assistance. 

I had a look at the post by @Jeffersm963 and it was very helpful - impressive job. 

I whipped this up today (below image) as a bit of a trial, and it's a little tight and a little ugly, but it is roughly what I think the aim was. A few things I learnt in the process, including that not much is particularly straight, my work included. 

My questions would be - is there an appropriate timber in a smaller dimension given the timber to space ratio? I was using 35x70mm? specifically the 35mm aspect. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6499.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @penright 

I was thinking about this awhile back, but I believe that the 70x35 would be the more robust timber size to use. This timber should be able to withstand attacks from possums, rodents and mice. It's thick enough to be drilled into without splitting and is H3 treated so will withstand outdoor exposure. Timber orientation is at your discretion, I think you've done an excellent job with that first try.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects