Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint concrete steps?

House
Getting Established

How to paint concrete steps?

Hello

I recently removed vinyl planks from the face part of garage concrete step’s.

Now I would like to paint them with a paving paint.

My question : What product off the Bunnings shelf that really does work  that I can paint on and scrape off or wipe off using water?

Also do I need to undercoat before using paving paint.

enclosing photo

Your advice will be so helpful.

Thank you

ZoiNot on all step frontsNot on all step fronts

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vinyl Glue

Hello @House 

Thanks for sharing your question about using paving paint on your steps. The paint Bunnings carries for concrete surfaces are mostly epoxy based and can't be wiped off with water. But if you are just wiping the surface with water to clean it, then that's possible. When epoxy paint is put on the surface it is extremely difficult to remove them. 

If you are still keen to use paint, I propose having a look at the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint. It does not require a primer, but you will need to properly prepare the concrete surface of the stairs.

As an alternative, I propose covering your concrete steps with a timber panel and anchoring it in place with masonry screws. This will allow you to stain and varnish the surface or paint it in any colour you would like thereby making it relatively easy to strip and repaint at your leisure.

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns, @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @House what's your reasoning to be able to wipe off the new surface with water?

The easiest and most cost effective solution would be to use an epoxy based product such as @EricL mentioned but one with a non-slip surface compound like this one which would be ideal for steps.

Nailbag

House
Getting Established

Hello again
What I want  to achieve is remove the old adhesive on the face of the step!
I was reading online and apparently you cannot paint concrete with parts of adhesive still there as it will have a reaction with the paint.
Thank you

Zoi
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to paint concrete steps?

Morning @House 

I have repainted my patio after removing old paint, several differant types of paint by the look of it.

For the repainting with whatever you end up choosing I would make sure that you remove all the existing stuff on the surface. It will be a pain I know but worth it in the long run. I removed my layers of paintr down to what you have on your steps, then removed even more (paint stripper, wire brush, high pressure water blasting) Even so with the stuff that was still left clinging for bare life, when I painted over it with Nutech Pave coat paint it wanted to lift away from the old bits of paint on the concrete.

30 14-09-2023.jpg

Non Bunnings paint that required only one coat. This was the smallest quantity you could buy lol It has worked well and stood up for a year without issues. I would recommend it as it has held up on the steps with no issues.

46 16-09-2023.jpg

After first coat, this is why I recommend to remove all paint first. 

49 16-09-2023.jpg

The lifted areas were easy to sand back the flaky paint and repaint and had no issues then.

You can still see some of the yellow on the steps in the photo.

I havnt posted the project for my patio (was waiting to do the handrails but shall try and post it in the next few days for you.)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @House 

My apologies for the miscommunication. To remove the old adhesive on the concrete surface, I suggest using a Trojan 100mm Paint Scraper in combination with 180grit Sandpaper. For the difficult sections, I recommend using a Craftright 5 Piece Wire Brush Set in combination with any standard drill set you might have.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @House 

Just posted my patio renovation/painting Patio renovation using paving paint 

It may help you with your steps.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects