Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple DIY shower bench

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Simple DIY shower bench

Renovating my ensuite bathroom I wanted to include a timber bench and began researching what was available and how I could make one myself. While staring at the timber bath mat (Duck Board) on my bathroom floor I realised all the pieces I needed were there waiting to be cut up and reassembled into what I wanted. The timber mat measured 80cm x 50cm and there was enough to make a bench 55cm long x 24cm wide x 31 cm high. I purchased a new timber mat from Bunnings to make the bench which took less than two days to make.

Shower bench D.jpg

Materials

Timber bath mat 80 x 50 cm

Stainless steel screws

Epoxy glue

Timber bench top oil

Anti-skid rubber floor pads

Tools

Hand saw

Tape measure

Screwdriver

Drill

Sandpaper

Steps

Step 1

Measure and count the timber pieces available in the mat and determine the most appropriate cuts you will need.

I cut the top at 55 cm long by 5 pieces wide and kept it screwed together.

This left me with 5 pieces at 25 cm long, and 5 pieces at full length of 80 cm long. I unscrewed all these pieces and worked out what I needed for the legs and support.

Step 2

Cut 2 pieces at 54 cm long for under the front and back of the bench then glue and screw through from the top.

Cut 4 pieces at 29 cm long and glue and screw them to 4 of the 25 cm pieces to make the four legs. This will leave a 3 cm space to fit, glue and screw under the top.

The remaining pieces will be enough to create the supporting frame screwed in half way down the legs.

Shower bench C.jpg

Step 3

Chamfer any sharp edges and sand all pieces then assemble.

I used several coats of timber top bench oil to seal the timber or you could varnish or wax to finish. 

Lastly fit anti-skid rubber floor pads to the bottom of the legs.

What design can you come up with using a single timber bath mat? 

Have fun,

Stuart

Shower bench A.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple DIY shower bench

Hi @Stuardo 

What a beautifully built shower bench. Using the duck board was really clever! I may have to borrow your idea and see if the relevant parties in my house wish to have a new stylish shower bench.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @EricL 

I would love to see what you and others come up with. And that timber duck board when sanded back a little has some beautiful grain.

Cheers,

Stuart

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Stuardo 

Thats a beautiful bench seat and loved how you modified the mat :smile: Also like how you oiled the timber. I think it adds to the natural feel of it.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

What a great project and awesome practical design @Stuardo . I'm sure you will influence a lot of others to creat the same.

Regards, Nailbag

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Stuardo , I just came across this project and loved it. That was an absolutely brilliant idea to repurpose the timber mat. Choosing a suitable material for a new project, is often a delaying point in getting started, so it makes heaps of sense to use a timber already proven to work for a wet area, as you have done.  And it looks great. Hats off to you!

Thank you @TedBear ,

It's amazing how you can look at something every day, like the mat, and then the idea hits that it has a similar structure to the benches I was looking to buy on-line. And a heck of a lot cheaper to make one myself.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects