Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged Gyprock walls?

Jerreemon
Finding My Feet

How to repair damaged Gyprock walls?

Hey everybody, 

I need some advice: I am renovating a room which has had a damp problem that has affected 2 walls of the room, see photos, (I have a plumber addressing the reason behind the damp), how would I go about patching these walls?

Cheers! 

Jerry

IMG_3022.jpgIMG_3021.jpg

Jerreemon
Finding My Feet

Re: Gyprock wall repair

I've removed all the damaged plasterboard caused by the damp. 

Re: Gyprock wall repair

Hi @Jerreemon,

There's a bit of a mixed bag of materials there, so you need to be aware of the potential for asbestos. Homes built or renovated before 1990 may contain asbestos, posing a risk of exposure. Before starting any work, have your home assessed for asbestos and take necessary precautions. Consult the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency for guidance, and prioritise safety by educating yourself and seeking professional help if needed.

In answer to your question, you'd start by squaring up the cut-out, so you have some nice flat edges to work with. You can then cut your new plaster sheet to suit those sizes. Some patching cement should be used to fill the lower portion where the cement has disintegrated, giving you a flat surface to work with. Once you've patched the area and it has had time to dry, you can install your plasterboard. When installing plasterboard over masonry surfaces, you'll need to use Gyprock CSR 20kg Drywall Masonry Adhesive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects