Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Specrite panels for a laundry benchtop?

philired
Finding My Feet

Can you use Specrite panels for a laundry benchtop?

Following on from previous post about cabinet fixing we are looking at benchtops. Would spercrite 2200x600 Acaicia panels be okay as they are pre oiled. As you can see in the photo the top is 1300mm long withe side 875mm. Not looking to break the bank. Will replace sink with 600mm flatpax cupboard and wall cabinet. Looking for any advise.

IMG_2224.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use Specrite panels for a laundry benchtop?

Hi @philired,

Specrite panels would be a cost-effective solution for your laundry benchtop. The 2200x600mm Acacia panels are pre-oiled, which provides added protection against moisture, making them suitable for use in a laundry setting. Given your measurements, they should fit well, and using them would be an affordable way to achieve a natural wood finish without breaking the bank. Make sure to seal the cut edges to maintain their durability over time.

You might like to have a look at this helpful step-by-step guide: How to install a laundry benchtop.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell,

Could i still use something like Cabot's satin clear benchtop timber finish or something similar on top of the pre-oiled surface. I will need to seal where i cut out for the sink. Will get bunnings to pre cut for me.

Phil

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @philired 

If you are thinking of using the Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish it will work on the The 2200x600mm Acacia panels. Please make sure to sand the surface down to remove all the oil around it before you begin to paint it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Restore Wooden Furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your project) 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks for the information. Is there any secret to cutting Acacia panels as i need a 2200x600 panel. It needs to be 1300 long with excess being for the end panel.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @philired 

My best advice is to triple check the distance and cover the cutting area with painter's tape to help reduce splinters on the surface. Make sure that the panel is secure with clamps and that both areas of the benchtop must be fully supported even after cutting it in half. Please remember to paint the entire panel, that includes the sides, bottom and any area that has been cut.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects