Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moving plumbing pipes in a concrete slab

mlewin
Just Starting Out

Moving plumbing pipes in a concrete slab

Hi, I had plumbing pipes put in as a provision under the floor in my studio. I now want to change the layout. Do I need to cut the concrete and dig up all the existing pipes and create a new channel in the slab for the new layout?

IMG_4695.jpegthe pipes are all along this wall. 

IMG_4691.jpeg

Below is an image of the sewer pipe coming into the building, with the stormwater to the left.

IMG_4690.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Moving plumbing pipes in a concrete slab

Hi @mlewin,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I'm sorry to say that you're unfortunately going to have to contact a plumber for assistance with this one.

They'll be able to give you the advice and assistance you'll require to reroute your plumbing in line with the relevant Building Codes and Australian Standards.

The process will likely involve cutting the concrete to remove the old pipes using a Demolition Saw and then cutting new channels for the new plumbing lines. 

Once the pipes are installed, they will be wrapped in foam such as Abelflex Self Adhesive Backed Expansion Joint Filler Foam to prevent cracking from the concrete that will be poured to fill the channels.

I'd suggest contacting a plumber to quote on the job and speaking about what you can do to assist and reduce your costs. They may be comfortable having your assistance on parts of the job, but it's always best to check.

Let me know if this is helpful and if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects