Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace this blown light fitting?

Shane
Having an Impact

How to replace this blown light fitting?

Does anyone know what fitting this is? Some

sort of mini fluorescent? Is it user replaceable or do I need an electrician to replace the whole

light with something standard?

IMG_2923.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace this blown light fitting?

Hi @Shane,

Thank you for your question.

This is not a standard light fitting that can be easily replaced. Any time where there is exposed wiring, you should not attempt a replacement.

Unfortunately, this one should definitely be left to the professionals.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Shane,

Where is this light fitting situated in your house?

This is an old-school halogen light fitting and they are not only hugely in-efficient, but really hard on bulbs, of which the replacements are getting harder and harder to find.

My advice would be to get an Electrician in and get them to swap the fitting out for an LED fitting, it will be much brighter, it will last longer and you won't have to worry about changing them terrible lamps that blow when there is a slight voltage disturbance.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shane 

Just to add to the excellent suggestions made, I propose installing an LED light that has a lead plug adapted to it such as the Arlec 9W Tri-Colour Dimmable LED Downlight

This means that your electrician can just swap your old light fitting for a power point. You can then just simply plug in the LED light yourself and when it eventually fails, all you need to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Please ensure you inform your electrician of your chosen light fitting before making any purchases.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects