Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refurbish and paint front door?

Jforte
Finding My Feet

How to refurbish and paint front door?

Hi,

I'm would like to paint my front door however it has a few nicks and cracks as well as one part that is 'peeling' off a bit. Was just hoping for some advice on what I could do to fill these cracks and make the door ready to be painted?

Unfortunately buying a new door isn't an option.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 8.46.03 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 8.46.02 AM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 8.46.02 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 9.09.50 AM.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Refurbishing Front Door

Hi @Jforte,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest you start by filling the areas in images 1, 2 and 3 with Builders Bog, which is a two-part filler that sets extremely hard when dry. Ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions and use it immediately after mixing as it will set very quickly. 

You can apply it with a 50mm plastic scraper then sand it smooth with some 120-grit sandpaper.

For the area in image 4, the timber veneer has delaminated slightly. I'd suggest using some Aquadhere PVA Wood Glue to stick it back in place. You can use some Craftright 2 Piece Quick Action Clamps alongside a flat object to clamp it in place while the glue sets.

You should then give the entire door a light sand with 240 grit sandpaper to ensure a nice even surface. This can be done by hand, but a random orbital sander would definitely speed up the process.

Once everything is dry and ready for paint, I'd suggest applying a high-quality, stain-blocking primer such as Zinsser 946ml B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer. This will help to give a smooth, even surface and prevent any colour bleeding through the new paint.

Once the primer is dry, apply 2-3 coats of your chosen paint.

You might like to have a look at How To Paint a Door and What is the best way to paint a door? for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Puddin
Having an Impact

Re: How to refurbish and paint front door?

Hi @Jforte,

Good luck with the door. I did mine not so long ago and although it was not my favourite job the change it made was well worth the work. 

The builders bog works really well. 

Have fun Ann alias Puddin

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Puddin,

Allow me to link to your Front door upgrade so @Jforte can check it out.

It's a great example of how a bit of hard work and a few coats of paint can give your doors a whole new look.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Refurbishing Front Door

Hi @Jforte 

As per all of @JacobZ 's advice above.

Plus, I do like to use a wood glue loaded syringe and drawing up needle to get deep into those fine areas without having to extend the damage.

Cheers!

20240719_112726.jpg

Jforte
Finding My Feet

Thanks so much for the amazingly helpful responses everyone?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jforte 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just a friendly reminder to check your weather app to ensure sunny weather for several days before you carry out your repairs. The last thing you want is for it to rain the day after you finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects