Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint skirting boards?

Shane
Having an Impact

How to paint skirting boards?

IMG_1630.jpeg

Hi again,

I have these blue coloured skirting boards that I want to paint white.

How do I go about painting over them? Do I need to sand first? Can I choose a water based paint even though they might be oil based on them currently? We only recently bought this place so I don’t know what paint is currently on there. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to paint skirting boards?

Afternoon @Shane 

Im taking a guess and saying they are not oil based paint but thats a guess :smile:

You can lightly sand them so the surface will have something the new paint can bond to whichever type the paint is.

Tho it really looks like a water based paint.

I would use tape and a cutting in brush to get those nice lines . Monarch 50mm Cutting In And Framing Synthetic Paint Brush - 50mm or a smaller sized one (say 30mm)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shane 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your skirting board.

I suggest doing a quick test to determine if you have oil or water-based paint on your skirting board. I recommend getting a clean rag and some methylated spirits. Place some of the methylated spirits on a corner of the clean rag and rub it against your skirting board. 

If the paint comes off, it is water-based, but if nothing happens and the surface just becomes shiny, it is oil-based. 

The surface of the skirting board needs to be sanded down. If the paint is old and is deteriorating, it would be best to sand it all the way back to timber in order to make sure that you are not painting over old paint that could peel off.

But if it appears that the paint is still in good condition then you just need to know what kind of paint it is and then use the proper primer for it. An example of a water-based primer is Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L. An example of an oil-based primer is Dulux 1L White Prepcoat 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat. For the topcoat, I recommend looking at the Dulux Aquanamel series.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you paint skirting boards?

Here are some skirting board discussions you might find useful:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shane
Having an Impact

Thanks again. Can confirm it is oil based and in good condition. So I just need to prime and then paint? Do I need to sand at all?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shane,

If there was flaky sections, it would be important to remove the loose bits, but as your paint is in good condition, you would just need to prime and then paint. 

The primer is designed to even out the surface, so no sanding is needed unless there are areas that are extremely rough. If you find some rough sections, a quick sand with a Rocket Fine Sanding Sponge should do the trick.

Like @EricL, I would also suggest using the Dulux 1L White Prepcoat 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat and Aquanamel in your chosen colour.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Shane
Having an Impact

IMG_2918.jpeg

Thanks again. 

One more question: would you recommend two coats of primer? After the first coat, there’s a little touch of blue still showing through.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shane,

The primer is more about helping the new paint stick to the surface beneath then it is about covering it. 

The 2-3 coats of paint will easily block that colour from coming through so there's no real need for another coat of primer. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects