Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install wall moulding?

Muhamad
Just Starting Out

How to install wall moulding?

i am undertaking a project of adding wall moulding in my entrance package and living room main wall.

following timber and mdf moulding selected.

Porta 30x12mm 2.4m Panel Mould Clear Pine

Hume 42 x 12mm 5.4m Moulding White MDF Primed Aus Colonial.

This is my ist project so need guidance regarding following questions.

1. can i fix it to wall with only Liquid nails or only brad nails or combining both?

2. if timber mould is not primed than which primer i should use ...wall color is (Haymes paint ultra premium low sheen 2 coat paint)

system)

3. Can i paint the primed timber with same wall paint/enamel or for timber different kind of paint is needed.

4. Which material to use to fill in gaps of joints or to cover nails (if used).

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall Moulding

Hi @Muhamad,

Thank you for your question about installing timber mouldings and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The best method for attaching timber mouldings to walls is to use both brad nails and Liquid Nails

Brad nails are most effective when they are shot into a timber stud, but they are not always available where you need them. Using both nails and an adhesive will ensure that it is held strong even when the nails can't be fired into a stud.

A tip you can use where a stud isn't available is to fire two nails close to each other at opposing angles. This will make it much more difficult for the timber to pull away from the wall. 

If the timber is not primed, I would suggest using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L.

You can certainly use the same paint as the wall for the timber, no issues there at all.

To fill the nail holes, use Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler and for the gaps between the timber and the wall, use No More Gaps.

You might like to have a look at How to Install D.I.Y. Wainscoting and How to paint like a professional for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects