Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a large gap between cornice and kitchen bulkhead?

sallygraham
Getting Established

How to fill a large gap between cornice and kitchen bulkhead?

Hi, we have upgraded our kitchen recently and is trying to find a solution for this large gap (around 12-14mm) between the cornice and kitchen bulkhead.  Can anyone suggest any gap filler that can be used in this case?

cornice gap.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a large gap between cornice and kitchen bulkhead?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sallygraham. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps.

The gap I've circled in green could be filled with a standard gap filler. It would be best to push a filler rod into the gap so it's 5mm below the surface. This provides a solid backing for your filler to be applied on to.

The scalloped section is a little bit more difficult, and filler in this area would look quite unappealing. It might be best to take a piece of timber the same thickness and height as the gap and push it inside. You can then trace the profile onto its side and cut it out with a jigsaw. This profiled timber shim can be glued into the gap, and your filler can be applied over it to seal the seams.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @sallygraham 

Looking at your photo and going through @MitchellMc 's steps theres not a lot more for me to add :smile: 

Maybe make up a few of those styled segmants MitchellMc has drawn so they can be sandwitched in to build up the overall width? I would make them longer so you dont need a filler rod but really "wiggles hand" either way would look good. 

You might need a couple of differeant sizes of widths of timber such as Boyle 915 x 100 x 1.5mm Hobby Wood Sheet to make up that overall distance of 12-4mm

Dave

Thank you so much, will give it a shot 

Thank you Dave, the link for the timber option comes in handy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects