Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to avoid roller marks when painting a ceiling?

tashstewy-2219
Getting Established

How to avoid roller marks when painting a ceiling?

Hi agsin , I’ve attempted to paint my living room ceiling. I bought a good quality dulux paint with a primer but I have ended up with roller marks everywhere. I don’t know what I’ve done wrong. I also purchased a good roller 14mmNap. Any suggestions ? ( its also shown up an old water stain that I had previously sealed and painted. Any help would be appreciated 

IMG_9740.jpeg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting

Hello @tashstewy-2219 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your ceiling. Can you please tell us the exact name of the Dulux paint you've used on your ceiling. Can you also let us know if this is just the first coat, or the second coat? If this is the second coat, it's possible that you might need to use a primer with a blocking feature such as the Zinsser 3.78L Bulls Eye Primer Undercoat Sealer And Stain Blocker. Looking at the photos you posted it appears that the darker areas of your ceiling are staining through the paint. 

To avoid making marks on the ceiling with your roller, reduce the amount of paint you use. If you notice roller marks appearing, re-roll the areas to smooth them out using very light pressure. Another method to avoid roller marks is to add another coat of paint in the opposite direction for the second coat of paint.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi , I was in correct it’s actually a British paint that the lady at Bunnings recommended. It’s British paint and prime ceiling (this is the 2nd coat). 

Hello @tashstewy-2219 

It's possible that there was too much paint on your roller and it caused roller marks to appear. I can only suggest putting on another coat and try not to overload the roller with paint. You will also be able to tell if you are leaving roller marks while you paint, my suggestion is to run your roller over those marks to smooth out the spread of paint. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects