Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would a nail gun be suitable to use to nail 6mm mdf as an outdoor area ceiling ?

Jojo52
Just Starting Out

Would a nail gun be suitable to use to nail 6mm mdf as an outdoor area ceiling ?

Would a nail gun be suitable to use to go through 6mm pdf ? THE PDF will a ceiling on an outdoor area. I just want to be sure the nails will hold it up. I was thinking of using a finisher nail gun

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Would a nail gun be suitable to use to nail 6mm mdf as an outdoor area ceiling ?

Hello @Jojo52 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about nailing MDF to your outdoor ceiling.

I don't recommend using MDF for your outdoor ceiling. It is highly susceptible to outdoor moisture damage and is not rated for use outdoor use. Eventually moisture will enter the MDF and make it swell. I propose using James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 4.5mm 2.88m² HardieFlex™ Cladding in combination with Paslode 30 x 2.8mm 500g Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails - 300 Pack.

I suggest bringing your finishing gun to the store and asking the trade desk team member if there are any compatible fibre cement nails for your gun. However, if you are not doing a great deal of nailing it would be better to use the loose nails in the box as it will be more affordable.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Would a nail gun be suitable to use to nail 6mm mdf as an outdoor area ceiling ?

Afternoon @Jojo52 

When you say MDF are you refering to the composite timber or hardie plank? 

As @EricL says MDF isnt a good choice outdoors. (I generally think of MDF as a sponge just waiting for water to swell it) Humidity, dew and even waterfights come to mind that could impact the material undercover but outdoors.

Once you decide on what material you want (even if its the MDF :smile: ) then I would be using an old school hammer and nails.  

Im not sure how a finishing hammer would go at that thickness tho suspect it would be fine. Just check with the team members in store for the type of nail/verse thickness.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Jojo52 

What gauge nail are you thinking of using?

I have vague memories of using an air gun with 18G. They were like pins, and their heads were tiny with no holding power, especially with MDF.

@EricL 's hand nail recommendation above looks a good choice to me.

Cheers.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jojo52 

as @EricL mentioned, MDF isn't suitable for outdoor use as it only has to get the smallest amount of moisture in it and it will swell and weaken. Better choices would be:

The Hardieflex cladding Eric recommended as well as the nails. But you won't get suitable nails for a powered nailer as they need to have a large flat head on them, in particular when fixing to ceilings to ensure the heads don't pull through. These sheets are very heavy, so nailing them overhead will be challenging

Aquachek plasterboard which would be glued and screwed to the ceiling joists. Again heavy, but fixing is quicker.

And lastly reversible pine lining boards, these can be nailed in with an 18Ga brad nailer and 35mm length brads. I've been working on a couple of laundry makeover jobs and these were used flat side for the walls and channeled for the roof. It's available both primed and unprimed. Very easy to install.

Regards, Nailbag

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg

IMG_8750.jpeg

   

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects