Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What concrete mix for outdoor kitchen concrete benchtop?

indi
Finding My Feet

What concrete mix for outdoor kitchen concrete benchtop?

Hi Team, I'm building an outdoor kitchen and planning to build concrete countertops. Youtube videos shows many options which are bit overwhelming. Can you please suggest concrete mixes I can use? Trying to achieve a smooth finish. Thanks legends!

markw
Building a Reputation

Re: What Concrete Mix for Concrete benchtop?

I created a discussion with extra photos and details here: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Concrete-tabletop-project/td-p/146382

snowgoose62
Growing in Experience

Getting ready for the mortar pourIMG_4214.JPGIMG_4213.JPGIMG_4212.JPGIMG_4211.JPGIMG_4215.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @snowgoose62 

Thank you so much for the update on your concrete benchtop project. Before you start, I suggest having a quick read of this discussion - Concrete tabletop project by @markw. It has some very good suggestions on making sure that your concrete benchtop is free of trapped bubbles.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the concrete poured in.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is almost identical to what im currently working on. Looks great.

How many bags of concrete did this end up using?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bryce8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Let me tag @snowgoose62 to make them aware of your question. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Concrete tabletop project by @markw. It's an amazing example of how you can build a concrete tabletop independent of bottom timber support. 

Please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what your tabletop looks like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hello!!

We are also trying to make a concrete benchtop for our bbq area. We have started forming the top but then we got stuck as we could not find an off white concrete mix. The concrete pigment that we want to use in the mix requires an off white mix. Does anyone knows what products we could use?

20240624_175235.jpg

20240625_070904.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @virginia1985 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Due to the nature of your project, I can only suggest using Easy Mix 20kg 55MPa Super Strength Concrete. This is very strong concrete and will not easily break or crack. However, it only comes in a grey colour, you could try to lighten its finish by using Dulux Avista Oxide 1kg White Cement Colouring.

Please note that it might be necessary to use more than one bag to affect the grey colour of the concrete. Technically there are light coloured mortars, but they are geared more towards brick laying and rendering.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @virginia1985 I helped a mate of mine some time back on a similar project for his kitchen bench top. We sourced a colour pigment additive from this company in NSW. Then we honed the top to an ultra smooth finish and applied an epoxy coating. I wasn't part of that final process to recommend sorry.

regards, Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @virginia1985 

That will be a nice bench when you have finished it :smile: I will have to bow out of offering suggestions as I have never gone down the path of colouring the concrete mix. I do like @Nailbag's suggestions especially since he has worked with it. And with @EricL's suggestion I like as well but would run a test of a bag of concrete with some of the colour first for a paver or two to see how the colour will turn out.

Dave

Hi @virginia1985,

I just wanted to also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration from other community members and our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts.

We kicked off our search for Australia and New Zealand's best D.I.Y. projects today. We'd love you to hit the Share a project button when your work is complete - I'm sure it would inspire a lot of people. You're off to a fantastic start.  

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects