Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-vanish old cane outdoor furniture?

bridget4
Just Starting Out

How to re-vanish old cane outdoor furniture?

Hello,

I want to re finish these cane chairs that have vanish peeling off and completely gone in places. I have never done this before and wondering what steps to take and products to use? The internet is confusing me by suggesting cane should be oiled? Would this be the best option considering the have previously been vanished? 

1000006853.jpg

1000006856.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re-vanish old cane outdoor furniture?

Hello @bridget4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about revarnishing your cane furniture.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion How to respray a cane chair? by @CPA41. The cane appears to be in very good condition, but I believe it needs to be sanded down to remove the old sealer that's still attached to the surface. I propose using the Ozito 200W Detail Sander to make sanding the surface easier. Once the chair has been fully sanded, I suggest cleaning the chair with Feast Watson Woodclean. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. 

I propose using Clear Exterior Varnish to seal the chair. Make sure to test a little corner first to make sure that it is compatible with your cane chair.

Here is a link to our best advice: How to restore cane furniture?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

Here are some cane restoration discussions that might help:

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects