Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use blueboard for rendered retaining wall?

lyndal1
Getting Established

How to use blueboard for rendered retaining wall?

I have a substantial amount of retaining to do and I would like to achieve a rendered look to suit my home. I am looking to plant the top of the retaining walls. 

I was thinking of treated timber posts fixed framing for the seat part, fixing blue board back filling with Rock against the back to help with water filtering through and running drainage at the bottom. Then I'd render the blue board for a nice finish.

I'm open to suggestions or ideas and please let me know if I'm completely missed something. I have no retaining wall experience. Photo attached of the look I'm after but without the camping tile 

Screenshot_20220929-223307_Chrome.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use blueboard for rendered retaining wall?

Hi @suttanto,

Timber sleepers are H4 treated which means they can be situated in direct contact with the ground and exposed to rain. This treatment can be effective for long periods, up to a few decades, however, water can eventually find its way in and break down the timber.

While not 100% necessary, it can't hurt to seal the timber as well. This will add an additional layer of protection that can give you some peace of mind that your project will last for as long as possible.

If you were to coat the sleepers as well, I'd advise using Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber, as the Cromellins product mentioned before is not suitable for use on timber.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi

the blueborad will be install outdoor and it will get wet from the rain anyway 

do it necessary to seal both side (front and the back) before render

thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @suttanto,

You would only need to seal the back of the blue board as it would not be open to air flow. As the front is exposed, air flow would occur, drying things out.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

nirmal678
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc , @JacobZ : Can you please advise what is being used as grey colour capping for garden bed and seating ? Is it a decking board or a paint on sleeper ?

Hi @nirmal678,

As this is an inpiration image posted by @lyndal1, I'm not aware of what type of capping is used. The image isn't high-quality enough to see details, but it could be 20mm pavers.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc . I didn't realize that it could be a paver as a caping on sleeper. Yeah, image is not off a good quality. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects