Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop splashing out of water feature?

Jeanagh
Having an Impact

How to stop splashing out of water feature?

Hi everyone,  this is more about advice and suggestion as opposed to building or repairs. I have this water feature which I love but can't get it to stop splashing.  I have it on my back deck and i don't want the wood damaged with the constant wet.  I've tried tilting backwards and forward turning water pressure on the pump up and down. It's driving me mad.  Any suggestions would be more than welcome

1000008979.jpg

1000008980.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop splashing from water feature pump?

Hello @Jeanagh 

Thanks for sharing your question about your water feature. I'm sorry to hear that it's creating too much splashing. One of the ways to actually fix the splashing is to increase the water flow, this will assist with the flow of the water and prevent it from creating a thin dripping effect which creates the splashing.

If that is not possible, the only other way I can think of assisting the flow is to create a water guide using Perspex or similar material. I propose cutting a rectangular piece that you can bend and wedge to edge of the spout. This will guide the water to become smooth and shorten the fall of the water thereby creating less splashing. 

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be done. It can also be applied to the secondary fall of your water feature. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jeanagh
Having an Impact

Re: How to stop splashing out of water feature?

Never mind,  problem solved.  Disconnected the tube to the top, the pump handle. The top pot still fills with water and spills into the bottom pot but without the splashing.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you resolved your issue, @Jeanagh.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Jeanagh 

lol I had an idea but it was solved before I could write it down! :smile: I was going to say to raise the rocks under where the water falls to soften the "splash" effect. Probarly works along the same lines as what @EricL suggests :smile: Tho it would lesson the "gurgles" of the water 😕

Dave

I could try that but I think the water would splash off the rocks but thank you,  I'll give it a try

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects