Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Someone stole this plate. (*See photos) on my footpath and I have had Darebin council telling me its my responsibily and I have to pay for it. Its an inspection point for my storm water pipe I think. Where can I get one of these or something to close the hole?

20240812_125359.jpg

20240812_125013.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Evening Punky @Punky100 

"telling me its my responsibily and I have to pay for it."

Are you saying Council have the covers, but you have to pay for it - or - the original covers no longer exist, but you still need to get it covered?

If the latter - I'd love to try and make one outta steel for you. No cost.

Would council approve?

Are the screw holes still viable? I take it the original cover had a ridge that follows that groove - I couldn't replicate that.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers!

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

@NoyadeOh thank you so much that would be an amazing thing if you could possibly make one. I think I could get away with a flat plate no ridge around  the edge. I assume the screw holes are still viable as someone unscrewed it to take it. The council were no help whatsoever, its all on me. Im not sure how to put my contact details on here. I have fb messenge

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Punky100 

If you click on your name beside your profile picture a menu will drop down and you'll see the word "Private Messages". You can click on that and send a message to @Noyade.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Thank you

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

* yes the original covers no longer exist

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Through the personal message department I made contact with @Punky100 and I asked for an accurate profile be made and sent to me. I was thinking of soft cardboard laid on the casting and a rolling pin pressed over it  - hopefully indenting an accurate line.

Would anyone else have other ideas?

Cheers.

Need profile of the inner aspect.Need profile of the inner aspect.

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Hi yeah I was thinking of it overnight and can use some paper over a cover further down the street to make a tracing of the same cover lid

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

That would be perfect @Punky100 ! 👍

Especially the bolt placement. And I think they are small bolts, possibly imperial considering the age of these things - there would be a thread cut into the casting.

(I don't know why, but I assumed the intact cover photo you posted above was prior to the theft.)

Don't get arrested! 😁

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Haha I did think about taking one from up the street tbh but thought that was too risky. I think they are more like screws. I did the paper template and sent it iff. Thanks heaps for your help. No plumbers can help me without outrageous costs 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects