Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a rusty fence?

r_curtis
Just Starting Out

How to fix a rusty fence?

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

  

Hi All,

I recently bought a house and want to do some touch ups around the place including outside on my backyard fence. Small sections of it has rusted and it’s ugly to look at (see pictures attached). I’m not handy or very good at DIY at all so as much advice or information about steps to take as possible the better. I have read some other posts that are similar involving sanding the rust down, washing with soapy water and drying so there isn’t a powdery surface, then using white knight rust guard? Is this correct

also how do I go about colour matching my fence as much as possible? These are the only sections so only need small amounts of all products

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a rusty fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @r_curtis. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a fence.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Since the rust is quite advanced, the first step would be to remove as much of it as possible. You can use a wire brush attachment on a drill to strip away the rust and any peeling paint in the affected areas. Once you’ve cleaned it back to the bare metal, and the majority of rust is removed, I’d recommend applying a rust converter. This will help neutralise any remaining rust and prevent it from spreading. After the rust converter has had time to work, you can repaint the area.

For the painting process, you mentioned using White Knight Rust Guard, which is a good option. Before painting, make sure the surface is clean, dry, and free of any powdery residue. A quick wash with soapy water followed by thorough drying should help with that. 

Since you only need a small amount of paint, it’s worth taking a sample or even a clear photo of your fence to your local Bunnings. For a sample to work, it would be best to try peeling off a section at least the size of a 10-cent piece. The team in-store should be able to match the colour as closely as possible. If it's a standard Colorbond fence, you may be able to find a perfect match from their range, and our team can assist you with that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects