Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install plant shade cover extended off eaves?

Ces
Just Starting Out

How to install plant shade cover extended off eaves?

I would like to put a diy retractable plant shade cover down the side.

I've thought of options but would it possible to extend a small timber frame from the existing eaves over to the colourbond? I was going to do about 6 m and screw into the roof joists(?), 70% shade which I could retract if really windy. It'd be about an 800 mm extension. 

Am I kidding myself?  Thanks for the help.

17263739543393683552605107469347.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install plant shade cover extended off eaves?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ces. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a plant shade.

It's entirely possible to construct something similar to what you have described. However, you need to remember that a Colourbond fence is not designed to have anything attached to it. So, although it might be able to support your structure, it should not be used as an attachment point if high-winds are expected.

Have you considered using something purpose built like the Windoware 3 x 2m Charcoal Easy Fit Awning

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ces
Just Starting Out

Re: How to install plant shade cover extended off eaves?

Thanks Mitch.

I realise now that my post sounds like I want to attach it to the colourbond. Sorry. What I meant was a structure that extends of the roof, at the same angle and comes out as far as the line of the fence. Essentially, it'd be an extension of the underside of the roof by about 800 mm.

Appreciate the advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects