Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install gate or fence in our side passage?

Simeon1
Community Newcomer

How to install gate or fence in our side passage?

Hi Team,

I would love some advice/assistance with installing a gate in the side passage. We have an existing gate further down (example in photo) however would love to install an additional one for privacy reasons and so we can use to store things.

The challenge is the side passage narrows and has uneven slope/walls either side. Ideally we would install a gate however open to the idea of a fence if easier. Timber is great and I would just paint to match house.

Could you share a process in which I could potentially take this on myself?

Other details:
Ground is brick pavers, walls either side are double brick.

Thanks!460002703_868793652034044_5036435767660991043_n (1).jpg459732977_535067625699266_1382535567270782966_n.jpg460516437_520139890621686_7614090398754690663_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install gate or fence in our side passage?

Hello @Simeon1 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a gate in your side passage.

I suggest having a quick look at these discussions - How to install a gate post? by @Danson and How to install a gate onto brickwork? by @AntonT. these are excellent examples of gates being installed on posts. In regards to your installation, I suggest anchoring a 90x45 to your brick wall and then mounting the gate onto that post. Due to the narrow nature of the space, I don't recommend using large posts as it will take up too much space.

The general steps will be to anchor the 90x45 to your brick wall using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus in combination with Chemset anchor studs. If you are lucky and you have solid bricks and not hollow ones, you'll be able to use AnkaScrews. Next is building the gate itself, you can build one from scratch and there are some that are already prebuilt such as the 1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gate. I suggest visiting your local store and see what's available and what will fit your project. The final step of course is to attach the gate with hinges to your post.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some fence projects our Workshop members have shared: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects