Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix drain grate on concrete driveway?

fvl2212
Just Starting Out

How to fix drain grate on concrete driveway?

I'm thinking of trying to fix this up on my own. The issue, as you can see in the pictures, is that the edges that the drain grate normally sits on is wearing out, causing this grate to fall into the drain. This issue is slowly starting to show on the other sections as well. 

I'm not too sure what to get between these two

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-5kg-ardit-rapidset-repair-mortar_p0760262

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dingo-10kg-fast-set-hi-strength-concrete_p0760509

Would appreciate any tips, tricks or insights

20240921_091321.jpg20240921_091359.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drain grate falling to drain on concrete driveway

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fvl2212. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about guttering.

Those products likely won't adhere well enough to the existing concrete to withstand the weight of a vehicle, especially if that's what's causing the damage in the first place. While you could try using the repair mortar as a temporary fix, the concrete mix contains small stones that might make it difficult to achieve a clean, solid repair.

For a longer-lasting solution, you could consider cutting down the damaged concrete edges to a level where they're more stable. Then, install a right-angle steel edge over the concrete, either by gluing or fixing it in place with anchors. This steel edge would provide a stronger, more durable support for the grate, preventing further wear and giving the grate something solid to sit on. It’s a more involved fix, but it would offer a much better result in the long run compared to using patching products alone.

Let me tag @Noyade, @dave1 and @Nailbag for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @fvl2212  and @MitchellMc 

Just an amateur's observations.

To my eyes someone has welded steel plate to the grates - for a better fit - but not the one that is collapsing?

Spot welded.Spot welded.

The concrete edges look beveled for this grate and I'm not sure why your concrete is crumbling so much?

This area looks very narrow - so I'm not sure how well a hammer drill would fit in that space if you wanted anchorage on the vertical walls?

In medical terms I was thinking of a welded caged steel 'stent' that fits inside the drain that supports the grate.

Another thought is welding a support leg to the grate. Either one side or both sides.

See what you think.

20240923_082631.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day @Noyade

"I'm not sure why your concrete is crumbling so much?"

I just had a field exercise.

Walked down to a petrol station which has a grated entrance to the pumps - I never realised how much of the concrete edges get shattered with use - especially the top edges, but admittedly they get a lot of traffic. I'm guessing under the weight of vehicles the grates slip and slide and rock about, breaking bits of concrete. Looked around 200mm at most - not a lotta room to work inside.

20240923_092231.jpg

And they collect a lotta rubbish.

You can see in this shot - the grate is short of the width - making a battering ram as the tyres go over it.

Probably why we see the welded sections in @fvl2212 's photos above.

20240923_092253.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I'll never make a detective and Mr Sherlock Holmes would be ashamed of me.

"To my eyes someone has welded steel plate to the grates - for a better fit - but not the one that is collapsing?"

There's the 'missing' steel plate - resting on the bottom of the trench...

Capture.PNG

If they just used general purpose rods - cast iron grates and steel would not have worked well.

So, maybe easier to make a steel framed 'bed' that supports a cast iron 'mattress.'

Just a lunchtime thought.

Cheers!

20240923_124823.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects