Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for this wood fence?

OliviaT
Getting Established

How to care for this wood fence?

Hi,

I’ve recently bought my house and one of the fences looks like it needs more liven and care.

How can I extend the life of this fence so the wood doesn’t get more damaged?

The other fences look recent and are in excellent conditions. How do I maintain them?

Thanks heaps!

E20D1E59-5AB8-4B89-BFF8-C7833F37F760.jpeg

4C9407B2-E4DD-4DDF-B7D3-B4741C8C71F4.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to care for this wood fence?

Hi @OliviaT,

Thank you for your question about your fence.

Unfortunately, the fence rails look very worn, and they are likely going to need replacing in the not-too-distant future.

You can give the fence a few coats of Walpamur Fence Finish Paint which will give the timber some protection, but there's no great way of restoring the timber as it is quite weathered. The sections that are in good condition would also certainly benefit from a few coats of fence paint.

You might like to consider replacing this section of the fence yourself. The posts and palings look to be in fairly good condition, so it would really only be the fence rails that need to be replaced. 

Unfortunately, you would need to remove all of the palings so they can be reinstated, but this wouldn't be too difficult and once the palings have been removed, it is a simple case of swapping the old rails out for new ones.

I'd be happy to offer further advice if you wanted or you could check out How To Build a Fence for some guidance.

You might also like to check out How To Spray Paint A Fence and Freshen Your Fence for some other ideas.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

OliviaT
Getting Established

Re: How to care for this wood fence?

Thanks heaps Jacob! That’s very helpful and I will look into the DIY option.

I might be back with more questions at some stage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects