Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint Decko patio tiles?

Tiger202011
Just Starting Out

How to paint Decko patio tiles?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on whether it’s possible to restore the color of some charcoal decko composite tiles on our back patio that have started to fade over time. I've noticed that when the tiles get wet, they appear much richer and darker. Would it be feasible to paint them using acrylic paint to restore their original color or replicate this look ? 

IMG_20240902_163708.jpg

I’ve attached an image showing the tiles in their normal state and after getting wet to illustrate the color contrast. Any feedback or suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint Decko patio tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tiger202011. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about outdoor tiles.

Given that these are made from composite material and that none of our outdoor paints are designed for that substrate, the best place to get information on how they can be restored would be with the manufacturer. Hopefully, they can advise on suitable painting products or ways to restore their tiles.

The problem with painting them with exterior acrylic paint is that the paint will peel off if it doesn't bind to the tiles correctly. It would then be incredibly difficult to remove the compromised paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects