Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I repair this outdoor table?

seldy
Getting Established

How can I repair this outdoor table?

Hi all!

How can I repair and finish this outdoor table? The wood panels have deteriorated and the paint has faded.

I'm not sure what material the wood panels are so I'm including many photos.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Seldy

1000025441.jpg

1000025442.jpg

1000025443.jpg

  

1000025444.jpg

  

1000025445.jpg

1000025446.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I repair this outdoor table?

Hi @seldy,

Thank you for your question about restoring some weathered outdoor furniture.

I'd suggest you start by removing the timber from the metal frame, ensuring you keep them in order to ensure the screws line up with the existing holes in the timber. I'd suggest getting 2 drop sheets so you can lay the timber out in the correct order and have another to paint the frames. 

Once the timber has been removed, give the frame a clean with sugar soap to remove any dirt or grease that will affect adhesion. Once cleaned, repaint the frame using a coat of Rust-Oleum Grey Flat Ultra Cover Primer and your choice of metal spray paint.

While the frame is drying, you can give the timber a good clean with Cabot's Deck Clean and a Deck Scrub Brush, being careful to keep them in the correct order. The timber looks to be in fairly good condition, so it is not 100% necessary, but a quick sand with 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper would be useful in any particularly troublesome areas.

Once the timber has been thoroughly cleaned apply a coat of Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil, following the manufacturer's instructions for use.

Once everything is dry, you can screw it back together and repeat the process with the next bench and the table.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

seldy
Getting Established

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm not sure if the table is made from timber. It doesn't feel like timber when I touch it. I suspect it's some composite wood so can I still follow your instructions to repair the table?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seldy,

On closer inspection, I think you are right that it is composite timber. My apologies for missing that.

The steps would be the same for the restoration of the frame and the steps to restore the timber would be very similar, but I'd suggest removing the sanding and oiling as it is unnecessary for composite timber.

A good scrub with deck cleaner should give the timber a nice, refreshed look.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

seldy
Getting Established

Thanks for checking again Jacob.

Sorry for the late reply as I've been unwell.

If some of composite wood is warped would, can they be replaced? I couldn't find whether Bunnings stock these type of composite wood for outdoor dinning tables.

Best,

Seldy

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seldy,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been unwell. I hope you are feeling much better or are at least on the mend.

You could certainly replace the composite timber if you wish, but it might be difficult to exactly match what is currently there. 

Have a look at the Ekodeck range. This is Bunnings supplier for composite decking and timber.

The Estate Brown looks fairly similar, but it would be best to compare them in person to confirm. I'd suggest removing a board and bringing it in store with you so you can compare in person.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects