Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect oiled Merbau timber decking from water marks?

anna12
Finding My Feet

How to protect oiled Merbau timber decking from water marks?

We used Merbau FJ oiled Merbau timber for our decking.  Its been a week since completed.

Part of decking sits in the weather which includes rain.  after it rains, I've noticed some water marks on the timber.

Also under the covered area, some water drops leave a stain or mark.

There was a dirty mark on the timber, so i used a wet cloth to clean & noticed some the timber color on the cloth.

Even tough we purchased oiled merbau, should we old the timber to protect it or use another product to protect it from water marks and stains.

Wait for your feedback.

Thanks

Anna

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Merbau Timber Decking

Hello @anna12 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your deck.

The oil from the timber is still coming out and it will take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks before it dries out. It will sometimes take longer depending on the weather condition. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to finish pre-oiled Merbau decking? by @JodieP

One suggestion made was to use Cabot's New Timber Prep. It is designed to remove tannins and oils from bare new timber surfaces to allow for immediate coating. New Timber Prep skips the recommended timber weathering period of 4-6 weeks for new timber. Always follow Cabot’s New Timber Prep with Cabot’s Deck Clean.

I also suggest looking at these handy step-by-step guides:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank you for your help.

I have another question.  whilst we wait for the merbau to weather (6-12 weeks).  the deck has some dirty marks on it from dirty shoes etc.  can you clean the deck now rather than wait until we do the clean prior to oil in 6-12 weeks.

thanks

anna

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @anna12,

There's no issues whatsoever with cleaning the deck now.

Waiting the 6-12 weeks is to allow the natural oils, known as tannins, to drain from the timber.

Cleaning the deck will not affect this process, so feel free to go ahead.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi Jacob

thanks for the info.  should I use a particular product to clean the deck?

Anna

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @anna12,

I'd suggest Cabot's Deck Clean alongside an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush will do a great job.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects