Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Children's book library upcycled from dollhouse

ClayMan
Finding My Feet

Children's book library upcycled from dollhouse

My son's kindergarten wanted a free little book library for the children to share and swap books and I volunteered for the project. They had an old dollhouse from the yard which was perfect for upcycling but needed a lot of work. Several community members offered scraps of cladding, roofing, and wallpapers for repurposing. Weatherproofing was key, as it would be placed outdoors. Also crucial was it being easy and safe for toddlers to use. The project has been a great success. The little bookhouse operates outside the kindergarten entrance. So far it has survived much rainy weather and many happy eager children.

Steps

Step 1

Preparing the old dollhouse

This old dollhouse, originally donated to the kindergarten from a local church, had been kept outdoors for years in the children's play yard. The wood was weathered but the construction was sturdy.

Only basic cleaning (removing cobwebs and muddy children’s handprints) and sanding was needed. I filled some small holes on the shelves with wood putty. Larger gaps in the roof line were waterproofed using a poly sealant.

Step1.jpg

Step 2

Interior decor
Antique wallpapers were donated by community members and applied to the interior walls. The ceilings were painted white and the floors varnished. Wallpapering next to the stairs was too tricky so that wall was painted in matching green.

Step2.jpg

Step 3

Exterior Cladding
The weatherboard panels were donated by a member of the community, which he had leftover from cladding his house and were about to go in a skip bin. They are made from sustainably sourced hardwood mixed with environmentally friendly resin. He gave me offcuts of various lengths from which I had to cut what I needed to cover the exterior walls of the house. He also donated the metal trimmings for making the ends and corners look neat. He included some leftover green paint too for painting the trimmings and touching up the panels where necessary.

A hacksaw cut the metal trimmings to length and a jigsaw easily cut through the panels. Liquid adhesive stuck everything easily to the dollhouse. Once adhered, I used a simple hand saw to trim the excess to match the slopeline of the roof.

Step3.jpg

Step 4

Making the doors
The bookhouse definitely needed doors to keep the books dry from rain. Due to the shape of the dollhouse, I couldn’t find doors appropriate to upcycle so I had to make them custom. I started with basic 12mm plywood which I cut to size. I added windows at each level of the dollhouse to give three-storey look with different shaped windows for the attic.

Windows were carefully drawn up using a series of rulers. Rough holes were drilled in each spot with a holesaw bit. These were extended into the window shape using a jigsaw. Edges were bevelled with a trimmer.

Step4A.jpg

Extra features on the doors included an attic section. Grooves were etched into the plywood using a trimmer guided by a clamped ruler at regular intervals. Wooden beading added extra detail. The doors were painted all over with exterior grade white paint. Leftover green paint from the weatherboards was used for the detailing and gave a matching look to the cladding.

Step4B.jpg

Acrylic sheeting acted as the window “glass”. It is lighter and safer for children than real glass and is easier to cut and handle. I cut it to size with a jigsaw and used poly sealant in a caulking gun to easily attach the pieces to the doors. This also made the windows weatherproof.

Step4C.jpg

Step 5

Hanging the doors
The doors were attached to the main dollhouse with piano hinges. Alignment was tricky and needed a bit of adjusting before the final position was achieved. I added door seal weather strips to all sides (except centre gap) to further weatherproof the doors. Magnetic door latch things were added to keep the doors closed to keep out the rain and also are easy for children to use.

Step5.jpg

Step 6

Roofing

A large piece of old corrugated tin roofing was donated by a community member. It gives the bookhouse a great look. I cut the tin to size using an angle grinder and cutting discs. For the roof's apex, I cut out a single corrugated ridge which I bent into shape. I don’t own a large enough vice so I used a series of clamps.

Step6A.jpg

I adhered the three pieces onto the dollhouse with liquid nails. I don't own very large clamps and the angled roof made it tough to hold in place. So I had to be creative with a series of smaller clamps, ockie straps and some heavy objects (axe and mattock).

Step6B.jpg

The bookhouse needed to be safe for toddlers so the edges of the metal had to be smooth to the touch. I tried smoothing with an angle grinder brush and a large metal file. This removed larger burrs but was still not as smooth as I needed. So I used PVC clear piping. I cut it along the length of it down one side with small scissors. It slipped easily over the edge of the roofing and was glued into place with superglue.

Step6C.jpg

Step 7

Decoration
Door handles were needed for opening the door. After trying to source these from the community with no luck I found that Bunnings sell these little cute handles with a matching antique look to the 1970s wallpaper. I added a little cabin hook latch which is fun for toddlers and also helps indicate the to the children that the doors need to be closed properly after leaving or taking a book.

I wanted a little scene inside the house to make it look like someone lived there and I wanted a figure reading a book. My local community toy library donated a little antique astronaut doll which didn’t belong to any of their toy sets and needed a home. I made a matching framed space picture and a space book both cut from 4mm MDF and some fabric scraps. The doll is secured to the staircase with wire. The children love seeing a little person inside reading.

Step7.jpg

Step 8

Final comments

This project had an extremely tight budget. Using very simple tools and donated materials where possible, a great feature for the community has been made which should last years to come.

Step7Final.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The Bookhouse: a free children's book library for my local kindergarten upcycled from old dol...

Hi @ClayMan,

What a way to introduce yourself to the Workshop Community. 

Please accept a warm welcome and my thanks for sharing a truly fantastic project with the community.

It's wonderful to see something old given a new lease on life for many to enjoy for years to come.

The cladding, doors and roof give it a great look, reminding me of the many Queenslander-style homes that I've seen growing up, and to restore it so well using a lot of donated materials is fantastic. 

I love the problem-solving aspect of construction and your clamping method certainly solved a unique problem in a very unique way. 

I must say this project put a big smile on my face and I'm sure it will bring happiness to its users for years to come. 

Please do share any other future projects and think of us if you ever have another unique problem that you can't quite work out, there are always people here willing to help.

Jacob

Re: The Bookhouse: a free children's book library for my local kindergarten upcycled from old dol...

Thanks Jacob! I really appreciate your comments. It was indeed a great project and I've been inspired to do much more now that I've seen it installed and enjoyed by the kids. I'm just starting out in woodworking and this project certainly helped boost my confidence.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @ClayMan. Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next as your skills and confidence grow.

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects