Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you tile over liquid limestone?

Liv2
Just Starting Out

Can you tile over liquid limestone?

Hi!

I'm wanting to tile over the liquid limestone surrounding the pool. Can tiles be laid over liquid limestone? And what would your suggestions be regarding the pool coping?

Thank you!

1000024508.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you tile over liquid limestone?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Liv2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling over liquid limestone.

Provided the surface is sound and one solid slab then tiling over it shouldn't be an issue. I'd recommend using Davco 20kg Ultraflex Ceramic Tile Adhesive and their Davco 5L Ultraprime Primer. If these are individual slabs as per the joint lines, then tiling over the joints would prove troublesome and would likely cause the tiles to crack.

The coping has a rather steep gradient, so tiling over it might be difficult. However, removing it would require filling the area so it is flush with the surrounding limestone. It might be worth removing one of the coping tiles to see what the surface level is like underneath them. Once they are removed, a bed of mortar can be used to raise the height.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects