Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood panel wallpaper with hidden cabling

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Wood panel wallpaper with hidden cabling

We wanted to create a feature wall in a plain corner and loved the wood panelling detail, but did not have the budget or the space to add timber due to existing fittings. We also wanted to hide as many of the wires from the TV, boxes and sound bar as possible for a neater finish.

IMG_5262 2.jpg 

Materials

IMG_5232.jpeg

Superfresco Wood Panel Wallpaper  

2170e877-bb36-4418-8cb1-ec711c7bfa79.jpeg

Poly Wallpaper Paste  

Tools

Stanley Knife  

Stainless Steel Rule  

Microfibre Cleaning Cloths  

100mm Fence Brush  

Plumb Bob  

Tape Measure  

180 Grit Sandpaper  

Optional: 

Cable Trunking  

White Brush Wall Cover Plate  

Angle Grinder  

Masonry Cutting Disc  

Hammer Drill  

Chisel Bit  

Steps

Step 1

We cleared out the area ahead of the work starting - this was going to get messy! We took down the sheers, removed the wall-mounted TV stand and the old alarm sensor. 

IMG_5263.jpg  IMG_5264.jpg  IMG_4151.jpg

Step 2

We marked out the area where the trunking needed to go, for feeding the wires into. As our walls are double brick, we used a 125mm angle grinder with a masonry cutting disc to create chase outlines ahead of chasing out the wall. The wall chasing was done with a hammer drill and chisel attachment. 

IMG_4181.jpg  IMG_5266.jpg  IMG_5265.jpg

Step 3

Once the wall had been chased out, the trunking was cut to size and glued to the exposed brick. 

IMG_5266.jpg   IMG_5267.jpg  IMG_5268.jpg  

The cover plates were then installed and the wall was patched ahead of wallpapering. 

IMG_4190.png IMG_4192.png IMG_5269.jpg

Step 4

After the wall had been sanded and cleaned, it was now time for wallpapering! The wall had to be pasted first, rather than the paste being applied directly to the wallpaper. This can vary depending on the wallpaper, so remember to always check the instructions first. 

After establishing a level vertical line (which can be done with either a plumb bog or a spirit level), the first piece of wallpaper was hung. Usually, we assess the size of the wall and how many pieces we might need. For us, it made sense to start in the middle for our wallpaper project, but some people prefer to start at the wall edge.

The wall was pasted first. We carefully measured the length of the wall, and cut the first length of wallpaper, with extra to give a small overlap for trimming. The first piece of wallpaper was hung, with a damp microfibre cloth being used to smooth out any air bubbles or ripples, working from the top to the bottom. The cover plates were loosened, the wallpaper was cut around them, with a small overlap tucked behind them for a seamless finish. 

Using a metal ruler, the top and bottom of the wallpaper were trimmed. Tip: do this before the paste dries or the wallpaper will stick to your cornicing / skirting boards!

IMG_5272.jpg  IMG_5274.jpg  IMG_5273.jpg

Step 5

A screwdriver was used to pierce the wallpaper to mark out where the existing screw holes were for the TV bracket, but anything small and pointy can be used, such as a pen or sharp pencil! Each subsequent piece was carefully hung, making sure that the wallpaper edges aligned properly. We had a lot of cover plates to carefully cut around, which was time-consuming! Take your time if you have any fittings to work around. We also had the rail for the sheers to navigate, but we unscrewed that end bracket and slid the wallpaper underneath, rather than cut around a complicated shape. The bracket was then screwed back into place. 

IMG_5275.jpg  IMG_5276.jpg  IMG_5277.jpg  IMG_5278.jpg  

Step 6

We fed all of the electrical wires through the hidden trunking first, as experience told us that this gets tricky if you have furniture and big TVs in the way!

Tip: If you aren't sure of which wire goes into what device, you can label them with a small piece of masking tape at one end. 

The new wall-mounted TV unit was installed and the TV bracket re-attached to the wall and the feature wall was complete!

IMG_5259.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood Panel Wallpaper with Optional Hidden Cabling

What a terrific project @theDIYedit! I love that wallpaper, and it certainly has a convincing look.

You've created a fantastic entertainment corner in your room, and I'm sure you're ecstatic with the results.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc! It turned out much better than I expected, so I am happy that I took a punt on using the wallpaper over timber. 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @theDIYedit 

That looks absolutely fabulous, I may have to borrow your clever idea. I was totally convinced it was timber until you mentioned wallpaper. An absolutely wonderful upgrade.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects