Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Family tree photo wall

Leetes1963
Getting Established

Family tree photo wall

I decided to create a family tree, celebrating 5 generations of our families, incorporating a mural, timbers, wire, metal pegs and sepia photos. This has become a centrepiece for our family rooms and definitely a talking point for family gatherings. A unique way of displaying family photos!

Materials

Black butt decking

Cabots Wood stain-Brazilian Roast

Taubmans I Love Hue Brown paint

Metal pegs

Picture wire & hooks

Pictures lights

Picture hooks

Tools

Paint brushes

Hammer

Leveller

Steps

Step 1

I initially sketched out the tree in pencil and then placed templates of where my wood for the photos would go.

PXL_20240531_235007017.jpg

Step 2

I then started painting the tree trunk and branches.

PXL_20240601_033458503.jpg

Step 3

The next step was to add in some leaves and paint those. I decided to go with an autumn coloured tree as it matched my decor.

PXL_20240601_070550255.jpg

Step 4

Next I cut the decking to size and stained them. Once dry, I attached some picture wire and hooks. These were then placed on the wall in the designated spots. The photos were attached to the wire with the metal pegs. PXL_20240624_032233105.jpgPXL_20240624_032244038.MP~2.jpg

Step 5

I secured a metal sign to the centre of the tree.

Finally, I attached 3 picture lights above the tree that illuminate the entire tree at night.

family.jpg

family.jpg

PXL_20240602_074104432.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Photo Wall

Hi @Leetes1963,

Thank you for sharing your family tree, mixed-media, mural project.

This is such a creative way to display and honour your loved ones that I'm sure you will all love.

Your mural not only adds beauty to your space but also serves as a heartfelt tribute to your family's history.

Congratulations on a wonderful project.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects