Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Living room timber feature wall

Dundie21
Growing in Experience

Living room timber feature wall

Our living room needed a makeover as it was plain and boring. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted to achieve so I got to work. This required removal of a window and bricking in the external wall which was something I had never attempted before but wanted to give it a go. I then began building the timber components (purchased from Bunnings).

The end result turned out better than expected considering this way my first attempt at a feature wall.

Steps

Step 1

Cleared wall

IMG_2782.jpeg

Step 2

Planned out a rough design 

IMG_0258.jpeg

Step 3

Stripped wall and removed window.

Bricked in window space.

IMG_0259.jpeg

Step 4

Plastered wall and painted black.

Built timber book shelf.

Fixed all timber strips to wall 1 by 1.

Wall mounted tv with hidden wiring.

Purchased new tv unit to match.

I also pulled up vinyl flooring and replaced with tiles to finish off the room.

Job Done.

IMG_1889.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Living room timber feature wall

Hi @Dundie21,

Thank you so much for sharing your feature wall project.

You've truly done a wonderful job and to know you had to brick in a window to achieve these results, it really speaks to your commitment to the job.

Fantastic choices in colours, materials and the use of the CableClear Cable Management Duct give your project a clean, modern look and might I say, I really love how well the feature wall matches your TV unit.

The hard work and dedication to this project are clear in the brilliant end result that you've achieved.

Congratulations on a fantastic project.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Dundie21 

Oh Wow..... I was looking at your pics and was thinking "why did they remove the plaster"..... Scrolled back and fourth and then re-read a few times and the light bulb went off :laugh:

So my first question :smile: Can we have a pic of the outside brickwork by any chance? :smile: You really have improved the space and feel of the room.

How have you found the timber slats you installed work with deadening the sound? (I thought they were the sound absorbing sheets at first) I have considered the same but yet to actually do it. They really add style to a wall.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Some great unique architectural design aspects in that project @Dundie21 delivering a real feature for that living space with some great functionality. Well done.

regards, Nailbag

Dons-Glenno
Growing in Experience

@Dundie21 this looks great! I particularly like the unit under the TV.

Dundie21
Growing in Experience

Thank you JacobZ.

I searched for 3 months to find the exact Bricks to match the house and managed to find 1 pallet of bricks (very similar) in Adelaide. Then later that same afternoon I got a phone call from a bricklayer I contacted weeks prior (to assist with the search) and he found 1/2 a pallet worth in the corner of a brick supplier’s yard in Brisbane. So I jumped in the car the next day and drove 2 hrs to collect. 

I was looking forward to the challenge of bricklaying as I had never attempted before.

So with the onsite guidance of a mate ( a qualified bricklayer) I managed to complete the job myself and I was quite surprised with the end result. (Refer photos)

Not perfect but it was great to learn another skill. 

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5127.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dundie21 

Thanks for sharing that extra information regarding the bricks. Your bricklaying looks great, given enough time the new bricks will get a bit weathered and should blend in with your old ones. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dundie21
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave-1

I’m stoked with how it all turned out, much better than I expected. 

I found the timber to works well in regards to the sound deadening but I have also never used the sound deadening sheets before so I can’t really compare between the two.

I chose to use the timber slats so it would match the timber bookshelf I built and it was also cheaper to use the timber slats.

Refer the below photos of the outside brickwork.

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5127.jpeg

Dundie21
Growing in Experience

Thank you Nailbag.

I’m very happy with the finished result as it’s better than I was anticipating. 

Dundie21
Growing in Experience

Thank you Done-Glenno.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects