Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built-in cabinetry and shelving

Ebd267
Getting Established

Built-in cabinetry and shelving

This was a pretty dated timber shelving unit with mirrors when we purchased the home 4 mths ago. I have transformed it now and cannot stop staring at it! Very proud!

Steps

Step 1

As you can see  by the before photos - this dated shelving unit quickly became a dumping ground for clutter and mess and had no closed storage.IMG_4582.PNG

First I cleaned the whole cabinet with sugar soap and gave it a light sand.  
Then I did a full coat with the primer to cover the mirrors and the timber on all sides. IMG_4267.jpegIMG_4266.jpeg This took ages to cut in the lines around the mirrors and the tongue and groove boards but was super important for me to be able to paint the mirrors.

Step 2

I left it for a week to cure (as per the instructions on the tin) and then cut in with the Taubmans paint with paintbrushes and then finished with 4mm nap microfiber rollers.

IMG_4340.jpeg

Step 3

It took four coats to get it to be perfect but I’m ecstatic with the results. 

IMG_4390.jpegIMG_4407.jpeg

Step 4

I also built the VidaXL cabinet you see in the bottom. I filled the predrilled door handle holes with putty. I then sanded,  primed this and painted this unit as well. I cut its feet off for a more streamlined look and I added the pull handles to the top of the doors. IMG_4407.jpeg

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Built-in cabinetry and shelving

Hi @Ebd267,

Many thanks for sharing your project and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you join us.

The difference some sanding, priming and a few coats of paint has made is remarkable.

The addition of the cabinet has surely increased the usability of this bookcase and given you another useful option for storage.

That dark green velvet paint looks absolutely fantastic as a backdrop to the variety of colours from the books. 

Congratulations on a fantastic job that you can be extremely proud of.

Jacob

Ebd267
Getting Established

Thanks Jacob! Appreciate the thoughts and good vibes! 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Ebd267 

Wow! Love the area and when I saw what it use to be I thought "Have they pulled it out?" Then stepped through, stepped through again and seriously impressed with the painting of the mirrors :smile: It changes the whole look of that area!

Really nice work and it would be a pleasur eto sift through looking for a particular book!

Dave

Ebd267
Getting Established

Thanks Dave! I’ll admit I wasn’t quite sure what I was embarking on when I began with painting the mirrors but agree - quite the transformation. Modernizes the space and is now a nice feature rather than an eye sore! 

thanks for your kind words!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects