Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-stain a plywood desk?

ChrisA
Cultivating a Following

How to re-stain a plywood desk?

Hi everyone,I have a plywood desk I wanted to re stain as the previous owner did a rough job. 

Can I give it a good sand to remove the old stain? m

Also, I have read about pre stain conditioner (Miniwax) and Gel Stains to get the best result .... but they don't seem to be available in Bunnings or anywhere else. Does anybody know if they are needed or where I might get them?

Regards Chris

455040258_879484930699413_3300331923181558382_n (1).jpg

Chris

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Staining Plywood

Hi @ChrisA,

Sanding would be the best method to remove the stain. Start with a coarser grit, like 120-grit, to remove the top layer of timber and then progress to 240-grit. Be aware that stains are penetrative, so you might need to remove a significant amount of timber to get the stain out. This can be a problem with plywood as it is constructed of several thin layers of timber glued together. If the stain has penetrated deeply, you might not be able to remove it as you'll sand through the first thin layer of timber.

Are you looking to stain a lighter or darker colour?

Gel stains are particularly popular overseas in places like America. I'm unaware of where you could get them over here. In saying that, you can still get very good results from the available stains. Perhaps if you were able to show us some inspiration images of what you'd like to achieve, our helpful members can provide advice on how you could do so with available products.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ChrisA
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell, 

Thank you for the response. 

I am looking to stain it a simlar colour ...just a much better job.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If it's going to be a similar colour, then no need to remove the existing stain entirely @ChrisA. I recommend sanding it back with 240 grit to achieve an even and consistent finish and then restain.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ChrisA
Cultivating a Following

OK great I'll give it a go

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects