Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i use gloss sealer to replace glossy paint?

Diana3
Getting Established

Can i use gloss sealer to replace glossy paint?

I'm recently getting out of my lease and got some damage on the door surface (p3). I want to fix small areas on the door but I didn’t found any small size glossy paint in right color. So I’m thinking if it is ok to use the matt paint (p4) first, then use some gloss seals (p1&2) so that it has same finish look as the glossy paint?

Any recommend products? Would be right product if it can be applied on wooden doors and matt paint, also have similar finish look as P3 shows. 

Many thanks! 🙏 
IMG_5123.png

IMG_5122.png

  

IMG_5099.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i use gloss sealer to replace glossy paint?

Hello @Diana3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about touching up the paint on your door.

Please do not use the Cromellin product, it is not designed to be used as a sealer for paint. Instead, I suggest investing in the best touch up paint brush your budget can afford. For example, the Monarch 25mm Walls Doors And Trims Synthetic Paint Brush - 25mm has a very fine edge and uses exceptional filaments to provide a professional finish. 

I suggest putting on a very fine coat on top of the damaged section, your goal is to blend in the damage in such a way that it becomes unnoticeable. It would only turn up, only if you really searched for it. I suspect that putting a gloss coat on it will make it stand out even more as the gloss coating is so brand new. Whereas if it was just the same colour as the door it can be mistaken for just a dull section of the door. 

Please make sure to clean your brush after using it so that you can take it with you to your next location. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Diana3 

Whoops to the door, normal wear and tear might make it a non problem but I would be doing the same as you.

I would also be following @EricL's advice about the gloss as it would shine like a beacon :smile:

The only thing I can add to his suggestion is to paint a scrap piece of timber and see how "new" it is next to the area around the damaged part of the door. I like the idea of it blending in as I eyes glaze over surfaces that look "right"

How did you arrive atthe colour of the door? I know there are ways to find it such as apps, swatch cards like you have in your hand and even scraped paint flakes. More for interest sake then anything and to help others out in the same type of situation.

Dave

Diana3
Getting Established

Good evening @Dave-1,

Yes my main concern is that the coat might be too shining and will be very eye-catching. Anyway thanks for you and @EricL advice otherwise I might have had to paint the door all over again. 

About the colour, since it is the little sticky thing (p1) “bite off” a piece of paint, I use it to do colour match. I press it tightly to the swatch cards like p2 and find the one that can perfectly match. I press the card on the back of those cracks, if I can’t see the edge, then I think the colour might match. This might not accurate since it totally depend on eyes, but the colour is stick behind the plastic sheet and I don’t want to cut another piece, so this is the best way I can think of. 

Hope this is useful :smile:

IMG_5128.jpeg

IMG_5129.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @Diana3 

:smile: Now that is one way to do it! Brilliant idea!

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Diana @Diana3 

"I might have had to paint the door all over again"

I went through a rather sad experience of having to repair/paint walls and doors of a rental.

I found with a lotta patches it was better to paint the entire wall and door after the repair.

Never thought it would happen, as the real estate knew exactly where the damage was - but the entire bond was returned.

Cheers and good luck.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Diana3 I would use a hobby brush with a sample pot of the matched colour but in satin or even a matt finish. Your really only want to try and very lightly touch up the effected area without overlapping on the area that isn't which would cause a more noticeable bump. The flatter finish paints are much more forgiving than gloss when touching up in your case.

It's worth a try but as @Noyade has experienced, don't be surprised if the agent requires the door to be repainted.

Good luck.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects